Internet call registers a metered landline phone charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavornex

Granting that my Telco service provider was right that maybe one of the overseas website I previously visited triggered an auto-dial, will that Internet call register land-line charges? Please help, I will use your expert opinion to contest the phone charges.

I want to check to see if you`ve got anything nasty on your system.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

Sir Howard,

I can't seem to relate to RealBlackStuff's piece on posting HJT log. Any simpler method? I'll try to figure it out, sorry me, I'm not that techie.

Meanwhile, on the premise of your reply that you want to check nasties on my system, so it was possible that any websites dialed-up from my PC could register a land-line phone usage?

BTW, I use Firefox, I have Avast Home edition, and firewalls are on.

Ok, no problem.

Download the latest version of HijackThis(currently version 1.991.) from HERE. Unzip it and place it in it`s own directory such as C:\program files\hijackThis\HijackThis1991.exe.

Rename the Hijackthis.exe file to Analyze.exe. This is because some malware can hide from HijackThis.exe. Right click the Analyze.exe file and send to desktop(create shortcut).

Double click HJT to run it and click the do a system scan only button. Once the scan is complete, click the save log button and save it to wherever you want. Close the log file that opens.

Start a new post in this thread and write what it is you`re attaching. Scroll down to the manage attachments button and click it. Click the browse button and browse to where you saved the log file. Click on the log file and choose open. Now click the upload button. Once the file has uploaded, click where it says close this window. Finally click the submit button.

Ok, I'll do that. But I have to add a critical info though, which I initially thought as irrelevant, sorry again:

The call charges in question were supposedly made August 01, 2006. Its only this December I've learned of it when it appeared on my bill. Since August, I have made several reformats and o/s reinstalls...so the nasty that may have triggered it then is gone by now.

I might as well provide the relevant call history as it appeared on the bill:

TIME DURATION (min:sec)
1:21:48 am 1:12
2:21:48am 2:12
3:21:53am 16:41

Note the precise timing of the call interval. At least, this ruled out manual dialing. So it was triggered thru PC Internet? I use a dial-up modem.

Sounds like you had a rogue dialer on your system. They are quite common. As you`ve said, since you`ve done a reformat the nasty should have gone. However, I`d still like to see a HJT log, just so we know it hasn`t returned. We can also check to see if you have any other nasties as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back