Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchyinpaddyl

Before I was using broadband I did have a phone connection with the phone line connected at the back of the pc.But now I do not need it any more the same apply to the internal modem program.CAN I SAFELY TAKE OUT THAT PHONE CONNECTION BOARD AND REPLACE IT WITH SOME THING ELSE (ie :more USB connector, firewire connector , or new sound card..tec..) and can I get rid of the modem.
Will this effect my pc or is it safe to get rid of them if you do not use them anymore and do not need them any more
thank you for an answer
frenchyinpaddyland

NIK HERE ARE THE DETAIL YOU ASKED:
it a DELL DINMENSION 2300 RUNNING WINDOW XP2(BAUGHT IN DECEMBER 2002)
hope that what you wanted
thanks

That all really depends on what your PC you have.
Most PCs will be perfectly happy with the modem removed but some PCs will have major problems when using their recovery CD.

Tell us what make and model PC you have and we can advise you better.

If it is a PCI card or riser card, take it out and enjoy the free slot.
Don't forget to uninstall any related software and/or drivers.

To rik: there's no way a recovery CD has anything to do with a modem!

I have come across a couple of Emachine and Packard Bell PCs that would not allow use of the recovery CD unless they had their original hardware in them!!

Rik
thanks for that (can take modem out) but what about the pci card with the phone line ..safe to take it out to I do not use them any more ..space for usb pci card ?

rik said:
I have come across a couple of Emachine and Packard Bell PCs that would not allow use of the recovery CD unless they had their original hardware in them!!

Me too Rik,
I have an NEC 166MHz 80GB RAM and a 2GB hard drive. Windows 95. This thing was built in 1996! The customer paid me $45 to replace the drive with an 8GB drive. I couldn't talk her out of the repair. It had a complete restore disc. You boot off this disc, it creates a D drive partition on the C drive, and inflates and installs all the data that includes the OS and all the programs, drivers and utilities. You reboot the system with the C drive and Windows 95 sets up and runs. This was very neat considering.

"The "pci card with the phone line" as you describe it is the modem!!"

Hey Rik,
do you ever feel like beating your head into a wall? :D

Based on the above info, PCs that need their modem, in order to be 'recovered', are most likely dinosaurs with W95. You should send those to the Smithsonian Museum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back