Internet disconnects after 5-40 minutes and have to restart to gain access again

R0707

Hello

I am using an ASUS R510c laptop
My internet connection stays connected and works perfectly fine at home. But, when I go to school it will stay connected for the first 5-40ish minutes. Then it disconnects (wifi bars go to zero, and the * pops up above it). If I try to reconnect without restarting it simply states "cannot connect to this network"

I use Windows 10, and only Norton 360 security, I have no other anti virus protection.

I have tried the ipconfig/release
I get messages:
No operation can be performed on ethernet/wifi/local area connection 3/local area connection 4 while it has its media disconnected.
Then I did ipconfig/flushdns
I get the message:
Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache
I then moved on to ipconfig/renew
I get the same messages as with ipconfig/release

I also have Uninstalled and re installed my adapters. And I tried disabling one while the other was enabled and vice versa. The two adapters on my laptop are Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 wireless network adapter and Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. These are up to date. And I have tried disabling the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option for both.

Once again I would like to state that this problem only happens when I am at school. Some of you might say that there is a problem with the schools router or Internet but everyone else in my class uses the internet with zero problems at all. Also my phone connects to the school wifi and works perfectly fine.

Thank you for your insight on this matter.
Ryan

Bummer. Unpack the zip file and read everything you can. There's at least ONE xxx.sys file (hopefully just one). If more, you'll need to read the xxx.INF file to find the correct driver.
If so, you need to be logged in as Admin and then COPY that file to
  • \windows\system32\drivers\
reboot.

Bummer. Unpack the zip file and read everything you can. There's at least ONE xxx.sys file (hopefully just one). If more, you'll need to read the xxx.INF file to find the correct driver.
If so, you need to be logged in as Admin and then COPY that file to
  • \windows\system32\drivers\
reboot.

Thank you, I shall see if this works.

In the search box, enter CMD and hit enter
in the new window, we can test & examine the TCP:

1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping GOOGLE.COM
(1) tests if TCP move packets thru the net to a well known site

(2) tests if your DNS can resolve a Name --> an IP address, and then ping that address.

Frequently when we can't load web pages, the issue is DNS falures.

In the search box, enter CMD and hit enter
in the new window, we can test & examine the TCP:

1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping GOOGLE.COM
(1) tests if TCP move packets thru the net to a well known site

(2) tests if your DNS can resolve a Name --> an IP address, and then ping that address.

Frequently when we can't load web pages, the issue is DNS falures.

PING transmit failed. General failure fore 8.8.8.8
And ping request could not find host google.con please check the name and try again

And ping request could not find host google.con please check the name and try again
IF BOTH fail, then you have NO access to your ISP -- call'm

As an extra update, here is where I am now. I have the new Atheros driver that you told me to download in the system 32 drivers folder. Internet does the same thing as originally posted, but in addition, SOMETIMES, it does what I recently posted, says connected but won't load the page. I haven't pinged 8.8.8.8 or Google.com when the second problem occurs, so I will post back if and when that happens again.

Problem 2 just occurred, I pinged 8.8.8.8 and got 50% loss "destination host unreachable" for two and "request timed out" for the other 2
And could not find google.com

Everyone else is on their computers just fine using the same wifi that I'm trying to connect to.

Last edited:
Could not find google.com is a DNS failure.

50% loss is unreliable TCP and that leads directly to both Timeouts & Unreachble.

I assume you've attempted a wired connection, Rebooted the Modem, the router and your system ...

Could not find google.com is a DNS failure.

50% loss is unreliable TCP and that leads directly to both Timeouts & Unreachble.

I assume you've attempted a wired connection, Rebooted the Modem, the router and your system ...

I have no attempted a wired connection or reboot modem/router system as this is an organizations equipment and I do not have access to such, I also see no reason for this if 25 other devices are connecting with no problems at all.

I have no attempted a wired connection or reboot modem/router system as this is an organizations equipment and I do not have access to such, I also see no reason for this if 25 other devices are connecting with no problems at all.
That makes sense - - just understand, we can't know all of that AND we use common troubleshooting techniques to remove known possible causes.

Back