Internet Explorer not responding

Baker

I suspected I had malware, but went through many steps on the other forum topic to have the same problem of internet explorer not responding. It will not load any webpages. I've done a repair install of Windows 7 SP1 and all the critical/important updates have been installed. I am using IE9. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? It seems to have started about a week ago. Google Chrome doesn't seem to be affected, but sometimes it seems resources are being used by something else. That is why I suspected a virus or malware. Any suggestions? Could this be a hardware problem?

First issue is to resolve the question
  1. is tcp configured so I can access the Internet
  2. if it is, then what's stopping the browser(s)
Solving (1).

Get a command prompt (start->run->cmd) and enter
  • ping 8.8.8.8
If you get timeouts, then tcp is a mess.

if you get timing data, then try
  • ping google.com
If you get timing data, the TCP is just fine, otherwise the first ping worked by the second doesn't means
the TCP settings for your DNS are missing or wrong

Both TCP and DNS are fine. I received timing data for both tests. Google chrome works OK. IE isn't working, not responding upon start up. I do not have firefox installed to try that.

Both TCP and DNS are fine. I received timing data for both tests.
Great - - DON'T fool around then with the driver or settings - - it's elsewhere
Google chrome works OK. IE isn't working, not responding upon start up.
good info and that confirms that it is an IE problem.
* use Chrome to download a fresh copy of IE 9.
* then UNINSTALL your existing IE
* reboot
* now install the NEW IE9
I do not have firefox installed to try that.
When you get IE running again, DO NOT load it up with all kinds of plug-ins.

Also recommend you download and install Spywareblaster to control ActiveX components.

BTW: You should run day-2-day under an LUA or UAC limited account and never access the Internet using
a login which has admin authority.

OK, so I uninstalled Flash and attempted to reinstall, but I got some errors during installation. I tried IE without Flash installed and it seems to be working ATM.

Baker, have you by any means using Skype (versions available feb-march 2013)?

at least in my experience, Skype plugins cause my ie9/ie10 for windows 7 and ie10 for windows 8 to have an "endless error loop".

my temporary solution is disabling Skype plugin.
permanent solution is Skype uninstallation.

Just tossing it out there, not that I count on that it'll help much...

But if you go to the IE settings, you'll find a button somewhere that allows
you to reset everything to the default. You could try that.

Just tossing it out there, not that I count on that it'll help much...

But if you go to the IE settings, you'll find a button somewhere that allows
you to reset everything to the default. You could try that.
I was thinking this same thing.

I haven't used Skype since last fall.

During the Malware investigation, I reset IE several times.

When I opened the Programs and Features area in Control panel. I had Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Flash Player ActiveX. I'm not sure if these conflicted, but everything seems to be working properly since uninstalling both. Now I've got only Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX installed.

Adobe flash player activex is for ie.
adobe flash player is for Mozilla/opera.
google chrome has built-in flash player.
ie10 for windows 8/7(?) has built-in flash player.

I think Baker is right in trying to solve the problem by disabling/uninstalling potential problematic plugins.
Baker, can you try to temporarily disable your Skype plugins to see if the IE problem is resolved?

Flash is probably the issue as you have experienced. If Chrome works, it could be a glitch in an older version of Flash on IE.

Back