Internet help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmagnum

Ok, i'm uncertain if this is the right forum for this but its the closest thing i can find.

Here is the situation:
made a custom computer about 3 years ago, had help from this site btw
moved to different states switched internet providers, no problems ever occurred. Now with my last move several weird things took place in my computer:
The windows (xp) login screen changed from the colorful normal one where you click the picture and type in the password, to just a box with the username and password. This isn't a big deal, but it shocked me to see that right when i started my computer at the new house it logged me in different...
The other thing that is the reason i'm asking for help is my internet. We got a new internet provider, the modem works fine, all computers in my house work with it perfectly... Except mine.
It reads a connection (ethernet) but says limited to no connectivity. This never happened before on any internet provider or any house. No matter what i try, it will not connect. I called the providers tech place and windows tech and neither could help me with my problem (windows wanted me to pay 59.99 for help and i'm not doing it)

So please, help me

Thank you for your time

how are you connected {cable vs dls modem} with or without a router and are you using wiFi or wired?

what OS and SP level?

got a cable modem, its a router. its not wireless, i don't trust wireless too too much. I use Ethernet
thank you

ok; use an admin account

disconnect the system from the router and power it off
View Network Connections->right click->properties
scroll down to (TCP/IP) , select it and then click the Properties button
make sure (*) Obtain IP and DNS are both checked
click the alternative Config tab
(*) Automatic private IP address​
click OK
click close

now reconnect to the router and power it on
wait 30 sec

use run->cmd and enter
ipconfig /all
you should get an IP address, a Gateway address, and a DNS address

ok; use an admin account

disconnect the system from the router and power it off
(*) Automatic private IP address​
click OK
click close

now reconnect to the router and power it on
wait 30 sec

use run->cmd and enter
ipconfig /all
you should get an IP address, a Gateway address, and a DNS address

ok got the ip address and all that. anything after? its still not connecting...
another thing that might be of interest: the computer i'm trying to connect is downstairs in my house while my router is upstairs, even when it was upstairs it still would not connect. So for when i do figure it out my father (i live with dad) bought a Netgear xet1001 powerline encryption utility. I've never heard of these but from what he said (he may be wrong) is that it should allow me to connect to it while its connected to the upstairs router (meaning i don't need wireless because it is wireless) now that didn't change the connection, but when i put my dads laptop directly to it it connected no problem.

Now i tried your thing and actually got an ip and all that, still no connection though. Out of curiousity plugged the laptop again into the netgear thing and this time (it changed locations downstairs since it worked) it didn't work....

Now i'm totally lost, when i try to connect to the netgear thing it finds a high speed connection but won't connect right, while the laptop doesn't see anything but still connects fine..

errrrr

Thank you so much so far though, big help

that's rather hard to follow (for me at least)

let's start with what did you get from the ipconfig /all
ipaddress = ?
gateway = ?
dns = ?​
for the system that does work, get the same results and show those too please

ipaddress
gateway
dns​
a map of the layout would help too; I'm reading you have something like
Code:
modem--router(upstairs is this wifi too?) --- systems upstairs
          ||
         (Netgear xet1001)
          ||
          +---- the other side of the Netgear xet1001 --- system connection
the Netgear xet1001 is neat but you need two, one at each end.

Did you see the user's guide?

Looks to be straight forward....

yeah got one on both ends, after the ipconfig i typed the ip and gateway into the properties just to try. i can't find the dns though i don't know what that is actually but it sounds familiar (stopped messing with computers 2 years ago)
it now says its connected just firefox won't load
should i post ip address? isn't that kinda a comp no-no?

ok.... lets try to restate this.

i don't think the netgear thing is causing anything so kinda for now scratch it i guess. seemed to be bad information.

did your ipconfig, no dns showed but put the ip and gateway into the properties for my connection for shits and giggles
it found the connection but still would not connect

did the ipconfig on upstairs comp, showed alot more stuff including dns so i coppied that dns again for shits and giggles, didn't change anything except added the dns to the ipconfig when it wasn't there previously

thats all i got so far...

thanks for help btw,

anything else i should try?

you can post the config if the numbers are like
10.x.y.z
172.16.x.y
192.168.x.y​
otherwise you are correct; don't

the above are called the non-routing private addresses and everyone with a router
has one or the other, ie there's millions using the same addresses and you can't
access them from the internet

I'll post mine as an example
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ltbeard
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : [COLOR="Red"]xxxx << wipe this out! <<[/COLOR]

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : [COLOR="Red"]xxxx << wipe this out! <<[/COLOR]
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [COLOR="Red"]00-XX-ZZ-DD-BB-AA[/COLOR] << wipe this out! <<
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:37:46 A
M
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

mine doesn't have any of that except this section

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-XX-ZZ-DD-BB-AA << wipe this out! <<
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

mine also says dhcp enabled .....no

thought that was wierd

upstairs computer has all that though

"mine also says dhcp enabled .....no"
hmm; you can't get the IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4 unless it is YES
or the NIC has an alternative configuration stored
jobeard said:

(*) Automatic private IP address

yeah, my mistake, it said no when i manually put in the ip address. This is when it actually read a connection but would not allow a connection.

Going back gives me the same results except for yes instead of no for dhcp enabled.

Still i only get ip, gateway, and subnet mask numbers, no dns or anything else except for a few lines like the ones i replied with

Click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command line below and hit OK.
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"
The command will put an ipconfig.txt file on your desktop. Attach it to your next post

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xyz

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xyz

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.xyz

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.xyz

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.xyz

Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command prompt window

enter: ipconfig /release
then enter: ipconfig /renew

then do the ipconfig /all again.

Does your Default Gateway really start 169.??? If it's blank (or really start 169.??), then your computer isn't even seeing the Router.

/* edit */
In which case, recheck physical cable/connections

I'm guessing you're seeing Autoconfiguration IP starts 169 in which case the Default Gateway will be blank. But whether Default Gateway is blank (or really starts 169. ) then both mean DHCP issue/router connection problem see here because DHCP isn't working with your router.

Other things to do/try:
=> Go into Device Manager and uninstall then reinstall the network adapter driver
=> Do ipconfig /all on other computers to double check the Gateway addresses as displayed on other computers then try to ping the Gateway address from the problem computer to see if any response. From command prompt

ping xx.xx.xx.xx

then both mean DHCP issue/router connection problem see here because DHCP isn't working with your router.
correct :)

what firewall? if it's the windows default, then you can ignore this comment,
otherwise, be sure to allow tcp/upd in/out port 67,68

Node Type . . . : Unknown
this ought to be Hybrid

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\computer\CurrentControlSet\Services
NodeType
Key: Netbt\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (B-node, P-node, M-node, H-node)
Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration
Description: This parameter determines what methods NetBT uses to register and resolve names. A B-node computer uses broadcasts. A P-node computer uses only point- to-point name queries to a name server (WINS). An M-node computer broadcasts first, and then queries the name server. An H-node computer queries the name server first, and then broadcasts. Resolution through LMHOSTS or DNS follows these methods. If this key is present, it will override the DhcpNodeType key. If neither key is present, the computer uses B-node if there are no WINS servers configured for the network. The computer uses H-node if there is at least one WINS server configured.​

[edit] humbug. On Win/XP the registry key is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
[/edit]
from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053

is allow tcp/upd in/out port 67,68 a cmd command? its not workin, tried everything else yall said. i'm assuming its the dhcp thats causing the problems. but my router is a arris tm502g, it seems to be modem. i only have one device. when i unplug it, the power is still showing and will still put out signal. so if it can't make a dhcp, how does one of my computers connect but not another

No; these are Firewall(FW) rules. Windows has a default FW which manages this well enough,
but if you use Comodo, Sunbelt or other third party FW, you may need to set that manually.
Per your question, it is not likely that you are using a third party FW.

the attachment will correct the DHCP and NoteType settings

save to disk, rename by removing the trailing .TXT and then double click the file (you need admin privileges)
you will get a prompt and you reply OK

then reboot the system to make the settings active.

When TCP is initializing, it will now broadcast on port 67 to your router and it
should respond with the remainder of the TCP configuration.

when you can, use the IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt to document the results
and please attatch to your follow-up

Attachments

• TCP_NodeType.reg.txt
    170 bytes · Views: 4
i have zonealarm as my firewall, hasn't really been used in about 7 months due to lack of internet though.
so still do same thing?

let's deal with that later -- please the the MyTCP.txt from the above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back