internet problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

darknate

i have yahoo as my home page and when i launch firefox, it automatically goes to page cannot be displayed. so i would have to restart it once or twice and it usually let's me browse the web. i have dial up and i can usually get around 30 kps ( i live out in the country.) and when i play online games, i lag horribly, it takes like 8 seconds for my guy to do my command. and i have nothing else running. is this a problem with my internet provider?

When you connect first, leave it idle for a while and then try to open firefox. See if that works. If I flip on my connection here and then automatically launch firefox I'd get the "this page cannot be displayed" screen too, I just have to be patient. I think it's the same for everyone. As for playing online with a 30kps connection, well, there's not much hope there afaik. It's just not going to be fast enough. I'm guessing you live in America somewhere?

this 'startup lag' is DCHP configuring the DNS access. Even with hispeed
internet, sometimes a takes a few seconds to setting in.

not an online game that you go out and buy and play it online, i mean a game that comes from the internet like arcade games. it used to never lag before, and now all of a sudden it lags.

clean out your cache and win temp files
check to see if the games you play load to much website links
can stop this loading in firefox if making it run slow
do search for about:config can find all tweaks for dialup.
check your memory usage while playing
do some speed tests at dslreports.com toast.net and speedguide.net
sometimes programs that make the internet (supposed to ) run faster can give you more problems
while playing games stop firewall
dialup is not the ideal way to play online games

i know it's not, but that's all i can get right now because i live out in the country. anyways, i got my computer to run faster. i was browsing through the forums and i found out that i had programs running on startup when i didn't know about it and taking up memory space so i disabled it and now my computer runs smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back