Internet Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 pc`s with XP operating system. I am trying to connect them so i can share the internet connection. Dail-up is only available in my area. I am trying to connect them with a crossover cable. But i cannot get past the Local area connection network cable unplugged. When i connect the crossover cable to both PC`s shouldnt this show Connected! please help..

do you know how slow the 2 machines will run
if you can even load a website page like in over 2 minutes when you are both using the connection
surfing would be just crazy this way
your better off using existing modems in each machine
a telphone line splitter try using 2 diff tele. numbers supplyed by the isp sometimes both machine will connect even thought same password
I did this with stargate waaaay back when I was on the baby internet speed like 1400-2800

I know i`m not on cable & the connection is dial up but it does pretty good for dial up. I hear what your sasying about speed but i would like to try this before i move foward into something else..Pages usually load in 20 sec or less. Now downloading is a different story. reason why i`m trying to do this is my daughter wants to chat with her friends & i`m usually on here also . If i could connect both pc`s & see it for myself.

and you tried to diff phone numbers,oh well it was a shot
ok you will need 2 network card or the machines have 2 onboard network connection.
you will need cross over cable
and set 1 up as dhcp first establish a connection
I would try a dynamic address first see if they see each other
do search for ics, internet connection sharing at the microsoft website I don't keep all this stuff in my head
I have gone through this procedure but with a network setup not dialup modems
fairly painless
one would guess the main pc nic would use the modem ip address as the gateway( thinking outloud)

Protee said:
I have 2 phone lines & tried what you said but the second would not connect.
you would need TWO separate dial-up accounts, as the ISP will monitor for the same used having multiple connections at the same time.

hey guys thxs for your response`s, thought i`d let you know i got it figured out. it was really simple & when i tell you what i done dont say it cant work cause i done it lol... I got this from xp for Dummies which i went out & brought, Here`s what to do or what i done....Unhook phone line network cables from both computers , turn off both computers & unplug them from outlet! Leave unplugged for 30 sec atleast... Plug phone line & crossover cable bac in the host computer or the computer you are using to connect to the internet, Power comp bac up & log onto the internet, your done with this computer, now plug crossover cable into the second comp, power it up & VAULAH!!! Your second comp is now logged on & i see no difference in connection & pages loading up. keep in mind both PC`s run windows XP.

way to go
xp is so smart ,next time I'm stuck will try that
by the way maybe for the heck of it with both on line and loading pages check under alt,ctrl delete task manage see what the network shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back