iOS 12 installed on more than 12 percent of devices in just three days

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Apple's ability to get its latest mobile OS onto as many devices as possible as quickly as possible is once again on display, further highlighting Android's troubling and sustained fragmentation problem that nobody seems to care about.

iOS 12 shed its beta designation on Monday when Apple released its new mobile operating system into the wild. The promise of improved performance on dated hardware is tough to resist although data thus far shows that Apple device users are taking a reserved approach compared to previous years.

According to the latest data compiled by analytics firm Mixpanel, iOS 12 is installed on 12.27 percent of Apple devices. iOS 11’s share, as a result, has fallen from 89.96 percent on Monday to 79.86 percent on Thursday. Devices running iOS 10 or older account for just 7.87 percent of devices in the wild.

As MacRumors highlights, iOS 11 adoption hit 10 percent just 24 hours after launching. In 2016, iOS 10 made its way to 14.45 percent of devices after the first day.

For comparison, the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system, 9.0 Pie, launched on August 6, 2018, and has less than 0.1 percent distribution as of September 12. Oreo, which dropped in August 2017, is installed on just 14.6 percent of Android devices while 2016’s Nougat is found on 30.8 percent of devices.

iOS 12 is available for iPhone 5s and newer, iPad mini 2 and later and the sixth generation iPod Touch. To install it, navigate to Settings -> General -> Software Update.

Lead image via TechRadar

Permalink to story.

Last I checked Apple's iOS upgrades are not forced. These are voluntary installs.

Microsoft, on the other hand; with their Windows 10 updates are a lot more forceful.

Hopefully we can all agree Microsoft is horrible. However, that's not what this article was about.

Ok, so those are the rates of updates, does anyone have the raw number of devices for both Android and Apple? And maybe by device manufacturer? Just curious.

Ok, so those are the rates of updates, does anyone have the raw number of devices for both Android and Apple? And maybe by device manufacturer? Just curious.

Android have almost 82 percent of all active smartphone. in united States it is around 49 percent of all active smartphone and in India it is around 96 percent. I believe that would be helpful to assume numbers' ratio

Android have almost 82 percent of all active smartphone. in united States it is around 49 percent of all active smartphone and in India it is around 96 percent. I believe that would be helpful to assume numbers' ratio

Check the regional poverty levels, you might see a striking consistency there as to the phone choices.

No such things as updates with Android and Apple. The only one is Microsoft. Android just push out new releases as Apple is doing the same scheme. Over a $1K for a cell phone for Apple!! If they made Apple Car I am sure the masses would purchase one as well!

No such things as updates with Android and Apple. The only one is Microsoft. Android just push out new releases as Apple is doing the same scheme. Over a $1K for a cell phone for Apple!! If they made Apple Car I am sure the masses would purchase one as well!
M$FT will be soon enough... they are edging closer and closer to their "Windows as a service" concept.

Anyway the article here is just pointing out adoption rates. Everyone upgrading to iOS 12 is because they want to upgrade. At least they weren't forced like M$FT did to some of their older Windows versions for a while.

I'm not a huge Apple lover but I do like the fact that all these old phones can continue to get OS upgrades. Not so on Android for the most part, except some flagship phones but that only lasts a few years anyway and varies by manufacturer. Android OS upgrades and updates are not anywhere near consistent. That was pretty much the point of this article. And while I'm at it, neither is Windows OS upgrades and updates. Their OS version/build base is just as fragmented as Android.

Back