iOS 8 adoption lagging behind iOS 7; iPhone 6 adoption skyrockets

Himanshu Arora

Staff

iOS 8 adoption is picking up, but not as quickly as its predecessor. According to data released by mobile analytics firm Mixpanel, the adoption rate of Apple's latest mobile operating system stands at around 45 percent as of today, nearly 20 days after it was launched. This compares to iOS 7, which had achieved an adoption rate of around 70 percent over the same period last year.

Mixpanel gets its data from users using its customers' applications. "We work with thousands of apps and that means tens (of millions) to hundreds of millions of users across all kinds of devices", a company spokesperson said last month. Another analytics firm, Fiksu, says the number is actually lower, reporting an adoption rate of only 37 percent for the new OS.

Apple released iOS 8 on September 17, and on September 21, the company revealed that nearly half (around 46 percent) of the devices that connected to the iOS App Store on that day were running its latest mobile OS.

Meanwhile, iPhone 6 adoption rate has skyrocketed; less than three weeks into the launch, the device has touched the 4 percent level. Just to give you an idea, the combined share of iPhone 5 and 5c was around 3 percent over the same period.

ios iphone apple mobile smartphone operating system os iphone 6 ios 8 adoption rate

On the other hand, the adoption rate of iPhone 6 Plus stands at around 1 percent, slightly more than that of iPhone 5c.

Permalink to story.

iPhone 6 adoption skyrockets

As your average IQ plummets. (with sarcasm, as I own one myself:))

Apple, light-headedness has never been so comforting... :)

Last edited:
iOS 8 is considered as one of the best operating systems for some good reasons. Making a place for oneself in such a competitive market is not a cake walk.

iOS 8 is considered as one of the best operating systems for some good reasons. Making a place for oneself in such a competitive market is not a cake walk.

Really? As long as there is a little blue square that people can touch to get their FB/Twitter fix they are happy. Most users advocating one system over another don't even know any of the features or benefits that would make one more useful to them than the other.

Back in the day users that could use CMD/Bash, edit windows registry, write scripts for their chosen OS, Compile kernals etc. were known as "Power users", not sure if this term is still in use. I think the same class system exists within the smartphone society.

I'm not surprised! If anyone's got a 16GB device then SPACE is the big issue!!! At present I don't have the 5+GB necessary to install and I simply don't have the time or inclination to be messing around with iTunes back ups and deleting apps etc. Which bonehead thought this one up at Apple? Have they started employing Microsoft's redundant workforce or something?

Well if M$ offers Win 10 as a free upgrade to Win 8.1 users watch it's adoption rate peak at 100% within the 1st hour nevermind 70% in 20 days.

Back