iPad has 95.5 percent of the market, tablet wars are coming

Emil

Staff

It should come as no surprise that Apple is currently dominating the tablet computer market given how early it beat out the competition, most of which is still dragging its feet. Compared to 3.5 million tablets sold in the second quarter of 2010, sales rose 26 percent to 4.4 million tablets in the third quarter. The iPad accounted for 95.5 percent with 4.19 million units sold, according to Strategy Analytics. Android fell from 2.9 percent to 2.3 percent, while Windows and other platforms made up the rest.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is expected to give the iPad a run for its money, though it's only coming out this month. There are also cheap alternatives like the $100 tablet being sold at Walgreens.

Other Android options, as well as Windows and MeeGo tablets have gotten a lot of press in recent months but most are only expected to ship in early 2011. The same goes for the BlackBerry PlayBook from Research in Motion. In other words, Apple has an opportunity to extend its lead during this holiday, before the competition heats up next year.

"The tablet wars are up and running," Strategy Analytics analyst Niel Mawston said in a statement. "Apple has quickly leveraged its famous brand, an extensive retail presence and user-friendly design to develop the tablet segment into a multi-billion-dollar global business."

Permalink to story.

Not surprising at all... although there are tablets out there that are better for people who like a more open source type of thing for programmers the Ipad for for regular citizens and its sooo simple people like it....I wouldnt buy it, but I would recommend it to certain people.

i dont get this tablets, but hey congrats to apple for selling such a silly device so well

Its understandable that they have this good a hold on the tablet market. Seems apple was just the first to set up a good simple interface for these devices. Even though it seems very similar to the iphone os. Regardless they have a very good marketplace for their hardware and it may be some time before it wains.

I am personally excited about the notion ink tablet for various reasons.

I agree with UT66, I don't understand the tablet craze. I would rather have a laptop with a keyboard. I do think a tablet would be nice at first, but it would soon just sit there and collect dust.

UT66 said:
i dont get this tablets, but hey congrats to apple for selling such a silly device so well

I agree, who ever pays £800 for one needs a health check in my opinion...Could get one of the fastest gold plated laptops in the land for that!!...You can close the screen to save on scratches, and among other benefits, not looking like a wally with it on the train.

God i hate apples stuff i do :D

Let the wars begin, the Ipad was the first good tablet on the market, other big players need to make theirs cheaper then the ipad else people will buy the "apple"

Lets dont forget the HP/Palmpad tablet with WebOS. im excited how WebOS will do it on the Tablet market because its a pretty slick looking OS

I wouldn't mind a tablet, I just want it to do more than consume media especially at Apple's prices. Virtual keyboards are just not quite there for me either, I would rather use a stylus.

Its still basically a toy to me, an expensive one at that. Drop the price Apple and I might be willing to give it a try.

But hey, kudos to Apple for basically creating a market that many said there wasn't enough consumer interest in.

Despite the competition, Apple's got that unique touch in their stuffs. The ipad am sure is still going to have its way in the market.

Honestly i still don't see a 'need' for tablets. Unless of course, you have excess cash or a cashed up relative and it's your birthday. I've only ever used my laptop, a wacom and my pc... and that's 15 years in the industry.

Still not sure if want :p

I too, am excited about the Adam Notion Ink. I like how the developers are really taking into consideration the comments made by the potential consumers. I already have money set aside...

I like tablets but I also like the netbooks. I am just waiting for the right combination of both and for the right price. Right now I am watching the HP and the ASUS combos. I don't want anything larger than the 12" screen max. If I could find a good tablet with an RJ45 jack or an easy work around, like a usb-RJ45 adapter that is guaranteed to work, then I might even consider that. I think the next couple of months will add some good options, hopefully.

An iPad is just a larger version of an iPod... So why does everybody want it so bad? Why not get a device that does everything an iPad does but stick it in your pocket...

UT66 said:

Agreed. This message is typed from an ipad I won for free, and honestly, nothing really that good about it. Waste of money and a waste of resources that could be spent doing something else, not to mention the number of people who get poisoned manufacturing these touch screens? Really. Why?

I find it hard to recommend

well as long as i know people buy apple product not because the product(hardware,software in it) but mostly because the advertising that come with it....

Brand is always a good thing for some people even if it pay a lot

Those numbers aren't surprising as Apple is the one who started that market after all, but come other tablets the numbers will definitely change.

Bwahahaha.. been avoiding Apple products since my first iPhone, the 3G.

Cannot wait for the tablet wars. :)

I am wondering if it is a matter of great marketing campaign or just a matter of great technology. For sure I can say that I saw some comparisons of iPad and Win7 tablets and Win7 is not adapted for tablets. Zooming is horrible. Screen keyboard is not so good as on iPad. On the other side iPad is not so HW advanced as Win7 tablets that have all the USB/front&back cams/HDMI features.

Not an apple fan but i have nothing against the ipad, original if you ask me... the other manufacturers are now getting into it. Its not a product i would be interested in, but some people may have use for it and for now its a viable choice, although i wouldn't be surprised if the competition eventually surpasses the ipad, as apple doesn't usually have superior hardware/functionality

I can't see anything but the iPad continuing to dominate this for many years to come. It is dominating with the Iphone and people can easily relate the two. Also give them a store to touch and feel the product and you have the best product.

I've had 2 Tablet PCs (both convertible clamshell designs) long before the iPad ever came out. Now if I had the money I would be in the market for a new thin tablet to complement a home desktop and a work laptop, mostly for use as a full colour and enhanced functionality e-reader. If I had the money today all I could buy at a decent price is an iPad or maybe a win 7 starter netbook with a tablet screen. I'm looking forward to more competition in the space, because neither is quite what I want.

Back