iPad market share falls to 75.3 percent due to Android

Emil

Staff

In Q4 2010, Apple's tablet captured 75.3 percent of worldwide market share. Android-based devices grabbed 21.6 percent share, according to market research firm Strategy Analytics. Windows and other platforms made up the rest.

Apple thus lost about 20 percent of the market share pie to Google when comparing Q3 2010 to Q4 2010. Three months ago, Strategy Analytics said the iPad had 95.5 percent of the market while Android devices only had 2.3 percent.

Despite the huge changes, both Apple and Google are riding the tablet market explosion, selling more last quarter than in the one preceding it. In Q3 2010, Apple shipped 4.2 million iPads, while in Q4 2010, the company pushed out 7.3 million units. The total for last year was 14.8 million iPads. In Q3 2010, 100,000 Android tablets shipped, while in Q4 2010, 2.1 million units hit store shelves. In total, about 2.3 million Android tablets shipped worldwide last year.

We can expect both those numbers to further grow with each quarter this year. Furthermore, there will be another player: Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook.

Permalink to story.

That's pretty substantial growth in one year for Android tablets, would make things interesting if they can back it up with similar gains this year.

I expect to see windows with a high % by the end of the year, but not as high as Android. Apple will probably still be on top

Mizzou said:
That's pretty substantial growth in one year for Android tablets, would make things interesting if they can back it up with similar gains this year.
Considering the quality and capability of Android devices coming out in 2011 i wouldn't be surprised if Android doubles it market share %, windows 7 may also be a contender this year

That's amazing. Android stole a fifth of the total market share in one quarter? Impressive.

Cool! Although I don't want Apple to die... it is a never ending source of entertainment for me to watch people attempt to defend their products.

IAMTHESTIG said:
Cool! Although I don't want Apple to die... it is a never ending source of entertainment for me to watch people attempt to defend their products.
+1 Apple fanboy comments are always good for a laugh.

What is it exactly that Google "sold"? Android is open source; they give it away. I keep reading articles about the success of Android, as though Android is a product. Meanwhile no one seems to be asking how anyone will have the margins to do R&D when dozens of hardware vendors are all helping Google give away software while the wireless carriers play one off against another on price.

Guest said:
What is it exactly that Google "sold"? Android is open source; they give it away. I keep reading articles about the success of Android, as though Android is a product. Meanwhile no one seems to be asking how anyone will have the margins to do R&D when dozens of hardware vendors are all helping Google give away software while the wireless carriers play one off against another on price.

Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't get it... Or is a firm Apple fanboy, sometimes it's hard to tell... Bottom line is, it's all about the hardware. Hardware manufacturers aren't "helping Google give away software" as you put it, it's the exact opposite - Google is helping hardware manufacturers sell products. It gives them an OS that they can build a product around, without the headache of having to develop and continually refine an OS (which is a huge undertaking). Android isn't a product, it's a platform, and it is spreading like wildfire. For some reason, people like having an open world of options, rather than being limited to select hardware and being told what software they can run.

Well, Apple created this market, so it's quite understandable that they have an enormous market share.

OK, I'm not anywhere near an Apple or an iPad fanboi, but I still have a few things positive to say about the iPad.

Apple won't sell anything that doesn't carry an IPS LCD panel. In view of the fact that an iPad will most probably be used in various attitudes, and certainly in quite a variety of challenging lighting conditions, the 178 degree, (H & V) viewing angles of IPS, make the difference between a pleasurable experience, and fidgeting with the damn screen to be able to find the correct orientation to make it usable.

I have both a Toshiba laptop, and a Samsung TN monitor. I can state categorically, I absolutely will never buy another Samsung monitor. and most likely never another Toshiba laptop.

I mention these two brands together, since they're mostly in bed/business together.

Since I have no tangible need for a tablet, I certainly won't buy one. But, if I were, the tech of the LCD panel would be my first priority in making the buying decision.

I'm posting this on the speculation that the Galaxy is most likely TN, as I would expect that that's how it's being brought in a the desired price point.

If it's not, I'm always willing to learn. That said, I haven't seen IPS in the market from Samsung/Toshiba, I have however, seen C-PVA technology.

EDIT: I do think that a Samsung 30" monster was IPS. Availability of these were hit or miss, and I believe that it's no longer available.

In reply to ^ captaincranky ^

The tablet market can be considered to start with the GRiDPad, which was commercially available in 1989 and featured a Microsoft OS. Tablets made a small blip in the computer market a few years back, but never gained significant market share because expensive products that are hard to type on are unattractive. People will likely realize they would rather have a fully featured laptop when spending laptop amounts of money, especially those that wish to write.

As for the IPS vs TN discussion, most people are not graphic designers needing the absolute highest visual quality from odd angles. Several reasons to prefer TN over IPS is cost and power consumption. TN panels typically consume 50% less power than an IPS. The fact that you can see the screen from an odd angle necessitates that extra power is used to cast light in all directions instead of just the primary direction. The fact that IPS costs twice as much as TN leaves an even worse taste in the mouth.

I remember when HD TV looked amazingly good to me, but now it's merely normal. I'm not happier at watching television now, just dissatisfied when I have to watch standard definition.

The "prettyness" of the screen is not as important as other factors for most people

In reply to ^ captaincranky ^

As for the IPS vs TN discussion, most people are not graphic designers needing the absolute highest visual quality from odd angles. Several reasons to prefer TN over IPS is cost and power consumption. TN panels typically consume 50% less power than an IPS. The fact that you can see the screen from an odd angle necessitates that extra power is used to cast light in all directions instead of just the primary direction. The fact that IPS costs twice as much as TN leaves an even worse taste in the mouth.
Well, the published power usage on my personal monitors don't really bear this out. And certainly not to the double wattage level.

At the present time there a few IPS panels, (I think that one is an LG grown 23" panel, rebranded in several units), that is quite affordable. Yes, these are more than a comparable TN, but not prohibitively so. Here's an example branded by Dell; http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9270 The $280.00 figure is the normal sell, it's often on sale for cheaper. At the very least, hold out for free shipping.

I remember when HD TV looked amazingly good to me, but now it's merely normal. I'm not happier at watching television now, just dissatisfied when I have to watch standard definition.
I'm not certain what your intent is with this analog, so no comment.

The "prettyness" of the screen is not as important as other factors for most people
As I said earlier, I have the equipment that I'm commenting on. The TN Toshiba laptop is dandy, when it's placed on a desk, and viewed at a specific angle, obviously set by the screen hinge. Other than that it's wretched. TN has the annoying quality, that the smaller the screen, the smaller the individual pixels, and consequently the more acute the optimum viewing angle becomes.

iPad is IPS, I really haven't heard of people complaining about battery life with it. I'm willing to listen if you know differently.

With all this being said, TN is faux 8 bit color. (It's really only six bit), and the newer crop of more affordable IPS monitors are true 8 bit. The still quite expensive true pro class IPS screens are, I believe, 10 bit.

At any rate, the obvious speed advantage of TN does cause it to excel at gaming. Also, its affordability allows someone with a restricted budget a more satisfyingly sized panel.

But, I'm sticking to my guns with the superiority of IPS for something like a tablet.

That said, I think the 300dpi screen in the new iPhone, is an absurd excess, a talking point without necessity.

Back