iPhone 11 will warn users if they install a non-genuine display after repair

Humza

Staff member
In context: Apple has always had a controversial approach towards third-party repairs. With the latest iPhones, it's looking to tighten the screws even further by letting users know, through a notification, if they have a non-genuine display installed after a screen repair job on iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models.

Apple's "dormant software lock" on last year's iPhones limited its battery health feature in case of third-party battery replacements. A few days later, the company responded to the controversial move citing safety and performance issues that could come with installing damaged, used, or poor quality batteries.

For its latest trio of iPhones, Apple published a new support document highlighting the company's quality and performance standards of 'genuine iPhone displays' as well as the various features baked into them. It also reminded users the importance of servicing their phone's display through trained technicians.

Only technicians who have completed Apple service training and who use Apple genuine parts and tools should replace iPhone displays. These service providers include: Apple, Apple Authorized Service Providers, or Independent Repair Providers using genuine Apple parts. Replacements not performed by Apple, authorized service providers, or certified technicians might not follow proper safety and repair procedures and could result in improper function or issues with display quality or safety. Apple displays are designed to fit precisely within the device. Additionally, repairs that don't properly replace screws or cowlings might leave behind loose parts that could damage the battery, cause overheating, or result in injury.

Apple states that several problems related to the display's multi-touch, brightness and color, can arise if "nongenuine display parts" are used. To notify users in case a replacement display can't be verified as genuine, an 'Important Display Message' will appear on the iPhone 11, Pro and Pro Max (as shown above).

The company says that this notification won't affect users' ability to use the phone and that it will appear on the lock screen for the first 4 days and in the Settings app for 15 days after a repair. After this period, the notification will be found in the Settings > General > About section.

An additional notification might appear that says, "Apple has updated the device information for this iPhone." which the company states is used for "service needs, safety analysis, and to improve future products." This suggests that Apple will likely keep a log of such repairs against each iPhone that could prove to be helpful (or troublesome) if one decides to do other repairs in the future.

Permalink to story.

That'd be great but I am positive Apple will hesitate to provide replacement screens to independent repair stores. On top of that, they charge an arm and a leg to repair the phone through them. They try to upsell and the "Genius Bar" will make up some BS excuse and talk you into purchasing a whole new phone. Louis Rossman. Y'all need to look him up on YouTube.

Anyone who doesn't like it can take their money and buy one of those Android phones.

apple is determined to control their user experience, their hardware, their software, their firmware and their RESALE VALUE.

I for one am happy with Apple's user experience for exactly that reason. I know exactly what to expect even if I purchased a used device for whatever reason.

The last thing I'd want is a used iPhone XS MAX or PRO MAX with a fake battery or a fake screen being marketed as "new".

And that's just how it is.

Once again: if you don't like it...Samsung's got a $2800 Fold to sell you and a bunch of android makers have a bunch of Android phones you can downgrade to.

"An additional notification might appear that says, "Apple has updated the device information for this iPhone." which the company states is used for "service needs, safety analysis, and to improve future products."

This seems intentionally vague and sounds like the device sends the info back to apple. Shouldn't they be required to obtain user consent before the device reports to apple servers?
I realize things like this aren't only an apple issue and a lot of operating systems report back to their respective companies. It seems that loss of privacy is the price we pay for convenience, and we are all too willing to give up that privacy in today's society.

"An additional notification might appear that says, "Apple has updated the device information for this iPhone." which the company states is used for "service needs, safety analysis, and to improve future products."

This seems intentionally vague and sounds like the device sends the info back to apple. Shouldn't they be required to obtain user consent before the device reports to apple servers?
I realize things like this aren't only an apple issue and a lot of operating systems report back to their respective companies. It seems that loss of privacy is the price we pay for convenience, and we are all too willing to give up that privacy in today's society.

LOL apparently you forgot to read the EULA.

Anyone who doesn't like it can take their money and buy one of those Android phones.

apple is determined to control their user experience, their hardware, their software, their firmware and their RESALE VALUE.

I for one am happy with Apple's user experience for exactly that reason. I know exactly what to expect even if I purchased a used device for whatever reason.

The last thing I'd want is a used iPhone XS MAX or PRO MAX with a fake battery or a fake screen being marketed as "new".

Once again: if you don't like it...Samsung's got a $2800 Fold to sell you and a bunch of android makers have a bunch of Android phones you can downgrade to.

Welp I am glad, "Thier's" as you so aptly put it is everyone else's technology and hardware licensed to Apple, they don't make a damn thing, "Their" Unix clone OS and corporate symbol are debately theirs, that is about it, Just for reference LG is the LCD manufacturer and creator.

The screen and the battery aren't fake though. Chances are they are from the same chinese factory that makes the batteries apple uses. The only difference is, they weren't installed by someone from apple. The battery for a phone like the iphone is a very specific physical size, it's not like you can just put any random generic in there.

Hey, if users want to put up with that, that is their right. But me, I've been tearing things apart and repairing them for over 40 years. I've replaced a lot of smartphone screens for friends who cracked them. I just have them buy the part, on a site I tell them to and charge them 20-30 bucks to do it. (not everyone...close friends only). Never had an issue with 3rd party parts. I prefer the "right to repair". If people want to put up with Apple over charging, they are probably use to it anyway.

But it's not their hardware, first sale doctrine applies

The screen and the battery aren't fake though. Chances are they are from the same chinese factory that makes the batteries apple uses. The only difference is, they weren't installed by someone from apple. The battery for a phone like the iphone is a very specific physical size, it's not like you can just put any random generic in there.
Seems like someone will eventually figure out how to set the bits in the device that say, "This was repaired by an authorized repair facility" or set the bits in the replacement item itself that say "This is a real crApple item."

Either one or both has got to be in there somewhere.

Seems like someone will eventually figure out how to set the bits in the device that say, "This was repaired by an authorized repair facility" or set the bits in the replacement item itself that say "This is a real crApple item."

Either one or both has got to be in there somewhere.

Reminds me of when they started chipping printer cartridges. It didn't take too long before much cheaper 3rd party solutions were on the market.

As soon as Apple sells me a phone they should immediately **** off because it's mine and I will use it how I please. This should be enforced by law. If you are against it, you are against freedom.

If you're unsure about 3rd party repair, go to Apple and you don't have to worry about it.

Oh and Apple intentionally solders everything to the motherboard so they have to replace the whole thing when something breaks. That is so they can charge for the whole thing. Now imagine being their customer. You love them so much yet they, fully aware, treat you like a *****. Have some dignity.

I like this. Apple are making sure that phones are repaired properly using genuine parts. It’s a form of quality control and is one of the reasons why Apple is taking a dump on anything running Android right now.

Look at a 2 year old iPhone compared to a 2 year old Samsung flagship, the iPhone will sell for twice as much, have the latest updates and still probably be beating today’s android phones in benchmark tests. Things like this help ensure iPhones keep their value and performance.

I guess people are annoyed at Apple because of the price. Well guess what, you don’t have to buy it. There are scores of cheap plasticky Android devices out there’s go buy one of those and please don’t use it to write comments bitching about iPhones or other things you can’t afford.

I like this. Apple are making sure that phones are repaired properly using genuine parts. It’s a form of quality control and is one of the reasons why Apple is taking a dump on anything running Android right now.

Look at a 2 year old iPhone compared to a 2 year old Samsung flagship, the iPhone will sell for twice as much, have the latest updates and still probably be beating today’s android phones in benchmark tests. Things like this help ensure iPhones keep their value and performance.

I guess people are annoyed at Apple because of the price. Well guess what, you don’t have to buy it. There are scores of cheap plasticky Android devices out there’s go buy one of those and please don’t use it to write comments bitching about iPhones or other things you can’t afford.

It doesn't really matter what you try to rationalize Apple's actions as, blocking people from repairing their own devices is ridiculous.

1. iPhones keeping their value has nothing to do with 3rd party repairs
2. Having the latest updates have nothing to do with 3rd party repairs
3. If a phone is repaired improperly how exactly does it effect the value of every iPhone? It doesn't.
4. "Genuine Parts", yes and phone parts are very specific to each model. Like I pointed out earlier, "genuine Parts" and 3rd party parts are often the same due to specific requirements. Not that this would affect resale value of every iphone either

You are making the argument that 3rd party repairs reduce the value of android phones and that's why apple needs to block these but in fact provide not a single shred of evidence. You make some false correlations of completely irrelevant points, nothing more.

Last edited:
....[ }....I guess people are annoyed at Apple because of the price. Well guess what, you don’t have to buy it. There are scores of cheap plasticky Android devices out there’s go buy one of those and please don’t use it to write comments bitching about iPhones or other things you can’t afford.
So, I should draw the conclusion from your extremely condescending narrative, that Y-O-U, can afford genuine Apple devices, and those who choose not to, or can't afford to buy Apple are peasants?

Guess what, that's what Apple wants you to think. I keeps their retail prices up, and their stock soaring. The argument could easily made, that you're easily used.

But I guess I suffer from "Apple envy", as well. I was approached by a zookeeper, (I was in the primate house, investigating how other non Apple owning primates were getting on), and told, "we close at 5:00 PM. I said, "I know, is it 5:00 PM yet. Smartphone in hand, she grandiosely told me, "it's 5:04 PM". So I said, I don't have the correct time, I don't have an iPhone, I'm stuck with this crap", and I gestured at my camera(s): (Nikon D-7200 Sigma 70 to 200 F2.8 "Sport" zoom, Nikon D-4300 Sigma 10 to 20 mm zoom). It's rough out here in the wilderness without being able to afford an iPhone, or even an iWatch. Besides, if I could afford an iPhone, maybe I'd be able to get some decent photos.:p

Last edited:
Back