iPhone 12 mini is a sales flop, iPhone 11 still selling well

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: There is certainly a vocal minority who view the iPhone 12 mini as the best iPhone model in recent history, but most people prefer the larger screen of the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max. Even the iPhone 11 is a more popular choice, at least in the US.

Apple may have announced a new color for the iPhone 12 mini at the recent "Spring Loaded" event, but that may not make it more enticing for consumers, who mostly prefer the larger models. Rumors suggest the company will, at most, make one more generation of iPhones available in a diminutive size for people with smaller hands.

Must read: Best Phones 2021

Earlier this year, an analysis from Counterpoint Research revealed that US sales of the iPhone 12 mini were a mere 5 percent of overall sales of the iPhone 12 lineup. Some speculate that the smaller size is less appealing because it offers less battery life and less screen estate for web browsing, gaming, and streaming. Another possible reason is the price, which is only $100 lower than the standard-size iPhone 12.

New data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners seems to confirm that demand for the iPhone 12 mini has remained weak throughout the first quarter of 2021. In fact, Apple sold fewer units of it than the iPhone SE, which also sees less demand than it did a year ago.

The study suggests that the 'mini' was a sales flop, and Cupertino overestimated the market for it, a supposition supported by Apple's decision to cut production by 20 percent.

Otherwise, the iPhone 12 lineup made up 61 percent of the US' iPhone sales for the three months ending in March, with the 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max models seeing relatively equal demand between them. The older generation iPhone XR made up 9 percent of all sales, but its popularity is fading quickly in favor of the iPhone 11, which was the best seller for the quarter (both of which we recommend in our Best Phones Buying Guide). Of course, shareholders love this news, as the average selling price of iPhones sold in the US has gone from $795 in Q1 2020 to $847 a year later.

Permalink to story.

The battery life is a big issue. This is like the manual transmission argument in cars, they put manual transmissions in only the base models with no features, which nobody buys, and then use this as an argument that "nobody buys manuals".

Then VW put a manual in the jetta GLI, in both trims, nothing was off the table, and surprise surprise, over 40% of sales have been for the manual.

This is the same issue. We say we want a small phone, then either years go by with nothing, or someone like apple makes one with a worse quality screen, worse battery life, or some other achilles heel, then discontinues it since "nobody buys it".

And percentages are misleading. 5% of one million sales annually is very little, only 50,000 phones, but 5% of 300 million annual sales is not a small amount at all, 15 million, and is large enough to justify a seperate model. Yes mroe people may prefer bigger mdoels, but given how well iphones sell 5% is a decent chunk of the market and there are clearly millions of consumers that want a phone that actually fits in their hand. The iphone 11 pro was of a similar size and sold quite well, or course that one DID have great battery life, while the 12 mini isnt that good. But you know we had to make it thinner, so.....

I don't have big hands but after using a Mate 20 X 5G which has a 7.2" screen I don't this I will ever be able to use a smaller phone again!!.... : - P

The fact any Apple category is getting connected with "flop" means the reality distortion field is beginning to break down. Well and good. You can't ride Steve Jobs's coattails forever.

By that logic I could call absolutely anything a 'flop' and it would have the same impact. A comment on a post here on TS doesn't carry much weight.

The battery life is a big issue. This is like the manual transmission argument in cars, they put manual transmissions in only the base models with no features, which nobody buys, and then use this as an argument that "nobody buys manuals".
The iphone 11 pro was of a similar size and sold quite well, or course that one DID have great battery life, while the 12 mini isnt that good. But you know we had to make it thinner, so.....

Iphone 12 Mini user here. The battery life is still better than every single iphone before the XR and 11 series. I went from a 11 pro to a 12 mini and literally have never noticed it, and the average person wouldn't either. There seems to be major discrepancies in how battery life is measured in benchmarks - I seem to have about 20% less battery than my 11 pro pretty reliably.

Its a weird thing where a bigger screen is still a bit of a status symbol, and some people are indifferent and just want the best battery. I think if most people used the 12 mini for a few days they'd love it, but obviously that's not how you sell products.

I am very annoyed they made the pro phones 6.1" instead of 5.8". 5.8 was the largest phone I would have been happy using. If they ever discontinue the mini I hope they go back to making a pro slightly smaller.

Selling well sure does make something good if you're, say, a company that likes to make profits. I hear some companies like to do that.
Considering that the 12 mini still sells better than the vast majority of android phones its pretty naive to assume they haven't profited off it.

"the average selling price of iPhones sold in the US has gone from $795 in Q1 2020 to $847 a year later"
The shareholders must be really happy. Me personally never going to buy one when for $350-400 you get an android phone that is better in every category (except SoC) - you get more RAM, memory, bigger and often better screen and pretty good camera though better SoC and camera is closer to $500-600 which is still a lot cheaper.

The actual headline should be the: the iPhone MINI called a flop outsells EVERY Android phone over $250. EVERY ONE. There are ZERO Android phones over $250 on the Top 10 list in America, EVERY iPHONE version is on the list and the iPhone MINI outsells EVERY so called Android flagship phone so only Apple can the 8th best selling phone in the US be called a flop when the iPhone 12, iPhone Pro, iPhone Pro Max and the are #1-3 outselling #4 (a mid tier Samsung about 5 to 1). Tech writing is not more than clickbait and of course, most people never look beyond the numbers in CONTEXT.

Iphone 12 Mini user here. The battery life is still better than every single iphone before the XR and 11 series. I went from a 11 pro to a 12 mini and literally have never noticed it, and the average person wouldn't either. There seems to be major discrepancies in how battery life is measured in benchmarks - I seem to have about 20% less battery than my 11 pro pretty reliably.

Its a weird thing where a bigger screen is still a bit of a status symbol, and some people are indifferent and just want the best battery. I think if most people used the 12 mini for a few days they'd love it, but obviously that's not how you sell products.

I am very annoyed they made the pro phones 6.1" instead of 5.8". 5.8 was the largest phone I would have been happy using. If they ever discontinue the mini I hope they go back to making a pro slightly smaller.
A 20% reduction is a pretty big deal, especially after years of use. IME the people who want smaller phones also tend to be the ones who keep phones for longer and have a better understanding of phones, largely because the typical consumer always gets the big ones, and would think twice before putting tons of money down on a device with a smaller battery.

Apple started with SMALL phones. If they want to get everyone to go for a smaller phone, they need to call the next iPhone a "retro" phone...the millennials will eat it up. ;)

[/QUOTE]
Selling well doesnt make something good. See also fast food, or star wars disney sequels.

Flop means weak sales. That's factually not the case here. Your argument about quality is perfectly irrelevant and is a counter argument to something that only occurred in your head. Try harder.

The actual headline should be the: the iPhone MINI called a flop outsells EVERY Android phone over $250. EVERY ONE. There are ZERO Android phones over $250 on the Top 10 list in America, EVERY iPHONE version is on the list and the iPhone MINI outsells EVERY so called Android flagship phone so only Apple can the 8th best selling phone in the US be called a flop when the iPhone 12, iPhone Pro, iPhone Pro Max and the are #1-3 outselling #4 (a mid tier Samsung about 5 to 1). Tech writing is not more than clickbait and of course, most people never look beyond the numbers in CONTEXT.

Speaking of context and how's it's important in delivery... You provided none.

While I do believe the iphone 12 mini sold fairly well - the only data I can find Googling of the top smartphone sales in 2021 is a metric that only encapsulates the month of January, and it doesn't line up with what you just stated.

Want to share any details of what/where you're pulling that data from, turbo?

Speaking of context and how's it's important in delivery... You provided none.

While I do believe the iphone 12 mini sold fairly well - the only data I can find Googling of the top smartphone sales in 2021 is a metric that only encapsulates the month of January, and it doesn't line up with what you just stated.

Want to share any details of what/where you're pulling that data from, turbo?
Here's one for the global numbers:

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/top-10-best-selling-smartphone-models-jan/

Yup, that's the one I was referencing. It's global, not US - and it's only for the first month, which ended almost 4 months ago. 0 for 2.

In addition to cherry picking data, it's also an inaccurate statement with no context.

Logical fallacies and other related blunders are one of the things that do make me scratch my head when we live in the age of information where everything you say online can be fact checked.

I thought the entire 12 series was a flop. It was an anaemic update, with nothing to show for. I didn't see a single reason to update my iPhone 11 Pro to something that looks and feels the same, but with a smaller battery.

Any body that had half a brain and did some research knew the iPhone 12 update was a placeholder and the real changes would come with iPhone 13. Only a tard would update an iPhone 11 to 12, but if you had an old iPhone it's a decent upgrade. 13 will finally get 120Hz refresh at least in the pro models, improved cameras, obviously better 5G with integrated SoC.

If you ask me, I think the iPhone 12 Mini don't sell as well simply because,
1. Most iPhone XR, Mini or 11 users just wants to use an iPhone but not looking for fancy SOC. So with the likes of the iPhone 11 that is probably cheaper, most people will go with the 11. For those already on XR or 11, there is no reason to upgrade either.

2. With phone screens getting bigger, I feel most will find the iPhone 11 or XR display size a good fit, especially when you use the phone a lot. The smaller screen size will appeal to some people, but given the not so satisfactory sales of this iPhone 12 Mini, I suspect that this group is not as big, and/ or, also due to reason 1

Just my opinion.

~14 Million phones is not a sales flop. The 12 Pro Max sold around 16 million phones. The iPhone 11 with its much lower price sold over 50 million. If the 12 Mini was a sales flop then so was the entire 12 series of phones.

“Mini” phones tend not to sell well, either from Samsung or Apple.

The cheap iPhone is the SE, and that’s where the price-sensitive shoppers will go. The Mini isn’t much cheaper than a “real” 12, so most will just go to the mainline product.

If the Mini was sold at SE-level prices, it would be a different story. But it isn’t.

Only a tard would update an iPhone 11 to 12,

I’m not a “tard,” but I did get a 12 Pro Max to replace my 11 because of the larger screen and the fact that I’m on the only real 5G network in the USA (T-Mobile). The tower is a half block away and I went from 60 down/10 up on LTE to 700 down/140 up on 5G. That’s pretty compelling; 5G regularly delivers faster speeds over the air than my “gigabit” cable internet with WiFi.

Back