iPhone 5 rumored to have smaller connector, currently in production

Rick

Staff

According to Reuters' anonymous sources, the next iPhone to hit shelves may have a smaller cable interface with just 19 pins instead of the 30 found in traditional cables. The shrunken connector would be a significant change for the company as Apple has relied on its proprietary 30-pin design since 2003. This rumor falls in line with purported design leaks of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini earlier this month which illustrate the move to a smaller connector.

It's worth noting that while 30-pin dock connectors have been standard-issue since the third-gen iPod, some minor electrical changes have affected compatibility along the way. But the real reason for the redesign, according to Reuters, is due to Apple's relocation of the 3.5mm audio jack from the top to the bottom of the device. 

The existing dock connector design has been criticized for being bulky and overly complicated. With portable devices becoming thinner and smaller, the timing might be right to ditch it all together and start from scratch. Unfortunately, doing so will almost certainly break compatibility with nearly a decade of genuine and third-party peripherals -- including car stereos -- so the redesign does not come lightly. There is currently no information regarding backwards compatibility with the use of adapters or converters.

In addition to shrinking iPad and iPod connectors, Digitimes reports that industry sources in Taiwan claim that production of the iPhone 5 is already underway. The timing seems right for a timely fall launch. For reference, the iPhone 4S was available for pre-order on October 7, 2011.

With the addition of the dock connector shrink, the next iPhone is conjectured to feature a larger 4-inch display with a movie-friendly 16:9 aspect ratio (previous models are 3:2) and may mark the return of an aluminum back -- a design element not seen since the original iPhone.

Permalink to story.

Or they could stop using proprietary devices altogether. The FCC has prevented every other phone manufacturer from using proprietary cables, how come Apple products are still allowed to do whatever they want?

New cable = more money for Apple since they sell those cables 10x the price it cost to make them. Also all the connectors already embedded everywhere this mean change or buy a converter that is going to cost an arm and a leg.
Way to go Apple, fill the landfill with perfectly good cable that people wont be able to use anymore.
And for all the fanboy out there that have 25 Apple devices, good luck with the extra cable to you are going to need to charge your devices.
And yes, why is Apple allowed to use proprietary cable???? Why dont they use normal usb cable like everybody else?

cuz theyve got plenty of $$$$$$ and this is what runs our world!!

I would love it if all the Android phone would have the same connector so we would see more accessories for them. That is what I like about iphone over Andoird

I would love it if all the Android phone would have the same connector so we would see more accessories for them. That is what I like about iphone over Andoird

yes because when buying a phone the most important thing to consider is accessories!

Generally, All android device do use the same connection type. I am sure most of them use a micro USB port. Yeah there is some with a Mini-HDMI port but those usually have both USB and HDMI.

yes because when buying a phone the most important thing to consider is accessories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you already invested a lot of money into them, then yes. I personally don't, but my sister, for instance, has a $100 stereo dock for her iPhone, and an alarm dock, and a few other things. To have about $200 worth of accessories become useless when you get your new phone might be annoying.

Its very simple. Either this is done mostly for technological advancement, or this is done mostly for profit. I know we all joke about people being in a boardroom laughing sinisterly, but if you think that when this was discussed having all the iCustomers buying all new cables and accessories was not on the table, along with projected profit from said conversion, then I have an iPhone 4 dock to sell you.

That stupid connector is another reason I wouldn't get one. I had a Dell streak, and it worked great, but, if you were out and about, and didn't have access to your charger (who carries one in their pocket??), you can't just top it off with any of your friends. Mini/micro USB should be a standard. My note is great, you can get a charger for less than what apple charges. Hey, it's your money, pay more for something that does the same as pretty much all phone if you want, I'll keep my OPEN droid device.

I really wish Apple would use microUSB like android devices, its a standard, most accesories I own are charged via micro USB.

If you already invested a lot of money into them, then yes. I personally don't, but my sister, for instance, has a $100 stereo dock for her iPhone, and an alarm dock, and a few other things. To have about $200 worth of accessories become useless when you get your new phone might be annoying.

Its very simple. Either this is done mostly for technological advancement, or this is done mostly for profit. I know we all joke about people being in a boardroom laughing sinisterly, but if you think that when this was discussed having all the iCustomers buying all new cables and accessories was not on the table, along with projected profit from said conversion, then I have an iPhone 4 dock to sell you.

Ahh yea, this is a good point. If you already have all iPhone accesories like lets say a Bose iPod/iPhone dock, then that would be a good thing to stay with them. However, I also know that in between devices they will not support old docks and such... Apple does this on purpose.

There will be an adapter. Now if the adapter comes free... thats a different question. But for a vast majority of things that use the old connector, it will still work with the new one through the adapter.

Back