Is anyone getting an XBOX now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3M1ghtyD8

Is anyone going to buy an XBOX now because of the recent price cut?

Looks like XBOX wasn't selling as well as M$ expected. In Japan even the Dreamcast is still outselling it.

don't think so,
if it has more good games.
or if the retail price gets really cheap.
i may think about it.

coz just got a new PS2,
still thinking to mod, or not to mod.
i always wanted to play tekken4, but can't play without modding, or have to til late august when the US version is out.

Nope.
Not even with the price cuts...
Disabled P3/Celeron, 5400rpm HD and a variation on the now old GF3....
No ta :)

My mate rang me earlier today and said he'd just bought one.
Paid $300(australian).
So went round and I say to him "let's see how its gaming is" , but he didn't have any games as he spent all his cash on the Box.
You'd think they'd throw in a demo disc at least.
He did play a DVD (after buying the extras--another $50) , and the quality was just as, if not better than a stand-a-lone player.
And the local video store won't even consider getting any games in for it for at least another 6 months.
But I don't think I'd get one. Not when my pc will do.
I suppose me mate just has to keep up with the Jones'.
I reckon he would have been better off spending his hard earned on his pc instead.

Originally posted by DogStar
My mate rang me earlier today and said he'd just bought one.
Paid $300(australian).
So went round and I say to him "let's see how its gaming is" , but he didn't have any games as he spent all his cash on the Box.
You'd think they'd throw in a demo disc at least.

Now that's very ironic. Spend so much on a "gaming console" only to take it home to watch DVD... Ackk... This is too much...

Not for nothing but why would he buy a DVD kit and not a game. Tell him to buy Halo, Dogstar...You will see why the Xbox sells so well in the US.

Buy Xbox

Not to turn this into a PS2 vs Xbox thread but...
A quote from Arris:

Heh, still technically superior to PS2...:)

well, if there are any hit games on the box, i'm sure a pc version would be in the works. for example, halo. that's pc bound, but i just dunno when. and when ported to pc, performance/graphics/fun should be better too.

bit late

He finally got a mag with a demo disc, and I must say I would definitely rather my PC with my tv-out function. Yes, there was a lot of detail on the XBox, but no, it looks crisper and more defined on my monitor or switching to tv-out on my telly. He won't admit it though. But I think I would get a XBox rather than a DVD player as at least I could borrow his games (when he can afford 'em) or buy a few and swap as a decent standalone DVD player is about the same price as the XBox here in OZ.

I just saw a video, and it makes me want an XBOX now!!

The XBOX has been hacked, so it's popularity should increase. The DREAMCAST is still popular because of it!

Lets see...have PS2 and PC
need to upgrade video card (Geforce 2 Ti)
kind of want a xbox $299-$199
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 $4200

The winner is geforce 4 Ti 4200, sorry xbox but I already have one console and also want to play UT2003 when it comes out

Originally posted by lokem
Now that's very ironic. Spend so much on a "gaming console" only to take it home to watch DVD... Ackk... This is too much...
]
If you are only lookign for games then you will spend more on a pc and then run into even deeper hole when you find you have no games. Basically you pay more for the computer and you still have to get games. (now this is assuming one would only want to play games and possibly watch dvds).

well you can do alot more wit a PC than a gaming console. My PC does the following:Games, Internet chatting, messenging, homework, DVD player, CD burner,

Originally posted by Top_gun
well you can do alot more wit a PC than a gaming console. My PC does the following:Games, Internet chatting, messenging, homework, DVD player, CD burner,
Agreed. I was just pointing out if you only want gaming then go for an X-Box, its cheaper than getting a computer thats going to look much nicer in gaming. Imagine the cost of something like a 27" monitor.
I still like my nintendo, yes regular nintendo. Classic games...

Not to mention that if you don't want to deal with trouble shooting, then consoles are the way to go. you should expect some burps from games now and then as a result of "advances" in drivers and technology in general.

consoles have a standard SDK and the turn around time for developing an X-box game is some 30% faster, possibly more.

Originally posted by Whack0
well, if there are any hit games on the box, i'm sure a pc version would be in the works. for example, halo. that's pc bound, but i just dunno when. and when ported to pc, performance/graphics/fun should be better too.

HALO is NOT coming to the PC, at least not anytime soon.

The BUGIE folks have been put on a new project.

MS said they are shopping around for a third party to port it over but no promises.

But it aint gonna be here by XMAS even IF they do.

Its their baby, their not going to canabilize it.

Originally posted by Classified
Not to mention that if you don't want to deal with trouble shooting, then consoles are the way to go. you should expect some burps from games now and then as a result of "advances" in drivers and technology in general.

consoles have a standard SDK and the turn around time for developing an X-box game is some 30% faster, possibly more.

And sometimes it just nice to sit back on the couch with ONE controller and chill.

PCs + Consoles both have their virtues.

Heres how i see consoles and PC's. Pc's are technically superior and always will be. They can preform many more tasks, and have the capabilty to do almost anything you want them to. But they also cost a ton more. A console is a gaming system only(excluding the DC's internet abilities). Consoles can be more fun for the technically challenged. Another plus for a console is that the hardware is the same in every unit of that particular system, this makes no ones system better than the other, as opposed to PC's where you could have a large disadvantage if you have a low tech system on 56k, and your online against a super machine with T3. PC's will always be faster,smarter, bigger and better than consoles, but consoles have the "stability" advantage. Peace.

Re: Buy Xbox

Originally posted by Project2501
Not to turn this into a PS2 vs Xbox thread but...
A quote from Arris:

Heh, still technically superior to PS2...:)

Yes. And which is selling more at the moment? ;)
Being able to push more polygons doesn't guarentee greater success when it comes to the console market!

You have to admit the only reason the PS2 has sold so many units is because when it came out there wasn't any real competition ( besides the Dreamcast ) & it was the first console to be able to read DVDs. Since it was out very early, developpers have started developping for it for quite a while now.

If the PS2 had come out at the same time as the XBox & GCube thinsg would be much different. When you simply look at recent sales, all these consoles are pretty much neck & neck. The only exception is the XBox in Japan but that's because Japanese willl never let a foreign console have succes in their playground ( Atari anyone ? ).

I'd really have to see a more compelling reason to buy the X-Box than what I've seen. While the graphics are great, gameplay and library is the real key. The Game Cube and the PS2 are almost neck and neck when you compare same games on different systems, but the PS2 for all it's woes is a relatively stable system with a huge library...and I still have PS1 titles I still love to play. My hard earned money is going for a PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back