Is Celeron d good enough for playing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazdude

just wondering, is the 340 celeron d processor 2.93 Ghz at least decent for playing the latests games?

crazdude said:
just wondering, is the 340 celeron d processor 2.93 Ghz at least decent for playing the latests games?

First off...this is the wrong section but i dont want to be a jerk so i will answer for you :p

Playing the latest games?? Not really. "D"s use the prescott core with is notoriously hot. And limiting cache also hurts performance, (not so much in games but it still should be considered)

Basicly put, a celeron is a value chip. ANd with the lowered price comes lowered performance. I would just go hungry for a few days and go with a AMD athlon (if your into gaming)

My 2 cents

Sean

I'd say so, but it depends as much on the entire system as anything. Having a slow video card, low ram, or slow ram, could affect your performance badly even with the best cpus.

The celeron d isn't the best, but it can run games, just not as fast as p4 or a64 cpus.

Here's a benchmark though, it has a 335 which is simlar to a 340.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
This is all with the same graphics card, so you'd only get about half the possible performance you could be getting with the fastest cpus.

If you're looking at buying or building a pc though, look at the sempron 3100+, it's much faster for a slightly higher price.

If you already have the celeron d, it should be ok, just not the best.

ChineseTechie said:
why is AMD better for gaming?? P4 with HT is not good enough??

cT

. Hyper threading helps Only with multhreaded apps. No game has true support for mutlithreaded processes. Need some benches on AMD gaming? here

Vnf4 got it right. Celerons arent bad per se, but not real good either...

I aint like a hardcore pc gamer, but i like to play games once in a while, would a celeron d with a good enouhg card like radeon 9800 run a game like Rome Total War in medium settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back