Is it safe to drill holes in a pc case for more ventilation

By kameron ยท 10 replies
Mar 16, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. I almost certainly won't, I'm just curious.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 10,479   +4,347

Yes it is safe, as long as it is only the case you drill.

3. delrey

delrey TS Booster Posts: 157   +44

I would be careful of any metal shavings. I would take out the components and clean out the case with compressed air and re-install the computer.

4. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Don't put holes in your case because you are lacking proper ventilation
    .If your computer case has weak metal-steel material, if you don't know what your doing you could warp it by accident.
    Run it by a good computer store and ask them to do it for you.

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,371   +543

I took the side off my case, put a fan there to keep it cool till I can afford to get it done correctly.

6. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Exactly this is what I did but I left my side door off my case for the whole spring-summer, with good cooling in my room it stayed chilled till the end of august in 2016. :p

7. learninmypc

Completely understand. I'm trying to get my XP working so I can get this W10 taken care of.

8. kameron

kameron TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

I actually have a spare side panel for one of my systems so I may look into mounting a fan or something on it

9. GirlDownunder

GirlDownunder TS Enthusiast Posts: 84   +25

It's definitely fine to do with the proper tools. It isn't exactly rocket-science, after all. However, you will leave lots of metal shavings, so best to work on an empty case or a side panel removed & then thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

I added a blowhole in a case with a metal cutting hole saw, easy-peasy. Used a deburring tool (a round file is fine), then sandpaper. It's also a good idea to put masking tape around the circle to help keep it neat. I started the center hole with an awl & a small drill bit before moving to the hole saw. You can paint or permanent marker the bare metal though usually the fan guard/filter covers it.

10. kameron

kameron TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

It's the panel that's already supposed to be removable so that shouldn't be an issue

11. learninmypc

I took mine off & have left it off. To each their own :)