Is it worth upgrading a Ryzen 3600 cpu right now?

Ohnooze

So I'm running a Ryzen 3600 and AMD 6800xt. Was considering doing a mobo/cpu upgrade but I'm not sure it's a good time as I'm not good about keeping up with hardware. I think I saw that AMD has a new series coming out later in the year...?

Thoughts?

The 5000 was the first series of AMD CPUs that really improved on single-threaded performance ( a key gaming measurement). It was worth the upgrade, but now we have Intel's Alder Lake out which further makes improvements (at the cost of tons of heat) and AMD will answer that in the 2nd quarter of this year. I think they are moving to a new AM5 socket this time, which is why it might be wise to wait. This time around it will make more sense to get a fast NVMe SSD since that is going to make a difference soon.

The 5000 was the first series of AMD CPUs that really improved on single-threaded performance ( a key gaming measurement). It was worth the upgrade, but now we have Intel's Alder Lake out which further makes improvements (at the cost of tons of heat) and AMD will answer that in the 2nd quarter of this year. I think they are moving to a new AM5 socket this time, which is why it might be wise to wait. This time around it will make more sense to get a fast NVMe SSD since that is going to make a difference soon.
Okay....I'll wait for AM5 if that's the case. Maybe I can get a motherboard that will last a couple upgrades.
TY for the reply. :)

Okay....I'll wait for AM5 if that's the case. Maybe I can get a motherboard that will last a couple upgrades.
TY for the reply. :)
5800X and 5600x are about as cheap as it's going to get right now since the 5800X3D came out. If you're motherboard supports it you might be better off dropping in on of those in and getting a few more years out of your setup.

5800X and 5600x are about as cheap as it's going to get right now since the 5800X3D came out. If you're motherboard supports it you might be better off dropping in on of those in and getting a few more years out of your setup.
It would require a new motherboard unfortunately.

It would require a new motherboard unfortunately.
well I have good news for you!

Your motherboard may soon be supported! This is due to the recent release of the 5800x3d. If you have a fast kit of DDR4 and don't feel like swaping motherboards, you could drop an X3D in there and get 2022 performance out of it. It's what I plan on doing on my B350.

Don't let me stop you from upgrading, I'm a hardware enthusiast and unpacking a new rig is one of life's greatest joys! I'm just lazy and doing want to take a motherboard out of my case and do all that cable management to make it look pretty.

Back