Is my HDD dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem. When loading windows, it boots for 15 minutes on the logo screen and goes no where so I reboot the computer and boot in safe mode, which takes like 10 minutes to boot. The computer is extremely slow! At the moment I am backing up my files to my modified xbox with XBMC with a 200gb HDD which usually goes @ 10MB/s. Now it's doing like 500KB/s to 1.5MB/s. It's taking forever! When ever my HDD is Idle ( no blinking red light on case or HDD read or write sounds) my CPU is normal. Open a foler, file, rar, a browser, and FTP, anything, my CPU spikes to 50% with a certain task called "Hardware Interrupts". It hogs my CPU @ 50%. It doesn't specify what the hardware is. I think it could be my HDD.if I were to close the FlashFXP, It shoots right down to 0%. Anything I open or execute, BOOM, 50%.

Could it be my HDD dying? or would a simple re-format fix it?

SMART screenshot:

hdd failure.JPG

SMART says all is OK but the values = worst. is that normal?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

System Specs:

Mobo: Asus P5K-Combo
Proc: P4 3.0ghz Prescott (overclocked to 3.6ghz)
RAM: Corsair XMS 2x1gb 667mhz (overclocked 720mhz)
Video: Sapphire x1650pro 512mb
HDD: View Screenshot please
PSU: Some 450W PSU with 18 amps on the 12v

(I re-posted this in the Storage and Networking forums, seemed more appropriate. sorry.)

Yes I'm thinking drive issue too.
It would be better to run a Diagnostics on it (from the manufacture)
Please refer here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Just In Case, remove any internal PCI cards (Sound; Modem; Extra Video Card; ...) and also unplug all externals, except Power; (!) Video; Keyboard; Mouse

Hmm, ye.. I am in safe mode, it wont run. Cant boot windows normally either.. well I haven't let it boot for more then 25 minutes but I think it ain't going to get further then that anyways.

P.S. Backups are all done now. I am just waiting for "x" eyes to appear on the hard drive now :haha:

OK just remove the partition too (I'm looking ahead)

Also once I waited for an hour for a computer to start, and amazingly it did (try pressing ESC <-- it has worked !)

WAAAA??

Are u talking about re-formating my D partition only and see how that goes?

That's what i have been doing now since its all backed up.

Ill post back when finished.

Thanks

Oh ok.. but I dont want to restart my computer :( scared that it will never boot again)

Re-format of the D partition is almost finished.

K, it's finished formatting. Still slow, Hardware interrupts don't spike more then 20%. Let me try transferring stuff to my xbox to see how its reacts.

Was doing 7MB/s but now its back to 500KB/s

:(

Ill reformat the whole drive tomorrow, but i think my windows is so scratched, that it doesn't copy all the files. and its SP1... 150 something updates lol I got a 5 hour job in front of me.

Yes you do (cause I've done it many times)

And you mean repartition remember!

Install Xp SP1
Install Xp SP2
Now install the drivers
Install Security updates (really Antivirus on MS alone, you don't need)
Activate during process
Reboot 2000 times, and Install updates !!!
Install AVG (that'll do) update 3 times on 1st install
Install Adobe (actually I hope you checked the harddrive way before this)
Install Flash
Install Office

Extra step (that I do)
Uninstall AVG (read on)
Run CCleaner and remove all temp files
Remove CCleaner
Defrag
Oh optimize all settings, ie System Restore just needs one restore point
Image entire drive (I use ghost)

Once complete
Re-Install AVG (I don't like having an old AntiVirus if ever have to re-install)
And then re-load all your data.

By the way, if you do make an image (ideally) don't personnalize it with all your stuff, even the Windows username should be generic (and computer name)
That way, if you ever sell it, just image back and it's perfectly clean.

Oh yeah when you get to the language setup screen in the install process, make sure all tabs say your language (this helps Office use the correct size paper)

That's all I can think of for the moment lol :)

Yes thanks, i have done it many times.

Execpt your extra step thing. I dont make a ghost image.

Thanks for your help.

But still, if it worth it? or by the looks of it, should i just get a new hard drive?

***EDIT***

Ill just reinstall windows, sp1, see if i get Interrupts. If i do, ill buy a new HDD.

Thanks for you help kimsland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back