Is my PSU enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys.

I bought a Gecube Radeon 3870 512mb not so long ago, didn't get to use it yet.

I was wondering if my psu's enough, though I personally doubt it. Just thought I'd ask to be sure.

it's an enlight 400w psu:

+5v|+3.3v|+12v1|+12v2|-12v|+5vsb
25a|18a|14a|15a|0.3a|2.5a
|130w max|228w max|3.6w|2.5w

it has 19a combined on the 12v rails. My current specs are:

Intel c2d 6750
Intel DP35DP
ATI Radeon x1550 512mb (bleh)
1x 500gb hdd
2gb DDR2 @ 800mhz
1x dvd writer

thanks in advance.

Hi SRT8,
welcome to Techspot :)
not much out there about your PSU, but what little there is doesn't point to it being a very high quality product, did it come with the case by chance? anyway, the 3870 requires a 6-pin 75 watt connector, which your psu does not have, and the specs from ATI call for a 450W psu. Im sure one of the guys...or gals, will be familiar with the Enlight.

yep, it did come with the case. I'm not gonna risk plugging my new vga anyway.

I was looking at a OCZ StealthXstream 600w OCZ600SXS earlier. I think I'm gonna go for that psu. It has 44a (I think) on the 12v rails, so it is enough and can upgrade the vga in the future.

any comments on the OCZ?

Nope, you'll need a new one. TS's review of the ASUS 3870 here utilizes a similar system to yours, and they measured a power consumption that's higher than the peak power output of your +12V rail. Ars Technica saw similar performance in their review here.

And the OCZ PSU is a good choice IMO.

I like that PSU very much SRT8, but Moiz is the resident expert here on PSU's......I was just checking to see if he was awake lol :)

If I had to recommend something cheap, I'd recommend this PSU. It's efficiency isn't too great, but it's an excellent budget PSU IMO, with 38A combined on the +12V rail. Topower's build quality is also pretty decent for such an inexpensive build.

If efficiency is what you want though, the StealthXStream is your pick. I believe the 700W StealthXStream is cheaper than the 600W model on Newegg at the moment.

hey Rage, do they have the OCZ psus in Dubai? if yes, where are they available and what are the prices?

This is a thing to consider. For one the higher to wattage isn't gonna make things run smoother the lower the wattage the more you will lock up and have problems.

Also going higher then what the board requires will never kill it. I suggest you go and find a better PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back