Is Norton Antivirus 2005 LiveUpdate installing spyware - adware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all,

I just used LiveUpdate to update my Norton Antivirus 2005. It took longer than usual (DSL connection), so I ran Spybot Search and Destroy after the download, just for the heck of it.

Spybot found the following spyware - adware: TagASaurus, AdRevolver, Azoogle Ads, BlueStreak, MediaPlex, Omniture, Statcounter, and Zedo.

Could Norton Antivirus 2005 LiveUpdate have installed these programs? Should these programs be removed, as Spybot suggests?

Thanks,

Alice

By all means... Delete Norten! go here
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Then get Avast! Antivirus for it instead because Norten is a piece of crap

Also... Welcome to Techspot! ;)

The link to Avast! is here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
and if you would please check out this and download the Antivirus / Antispyware from this
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ if you dont already have

Also sorry howard if I got to speak with Alice Clagett befor you =)

Hello and welcomwe to Techspot.

is Norton Antivirus 2005 LiveUpdate installing spyware - adware?

No it most certainly isn`t. However, I agree with TimeParadoX that it`s a bag of crap.

I suggest you do the following, before doing anything else.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Alice Clagett only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi, TimeParadoX and Howard,

Thanks for the heads up re Norton. I've tried uninstalling it before, and I'd have to say it's not something I would want to try to do again with a head cold. I see by your link that there is a program to uninstall it, so thanks for that.

Actually, I know it sounds absurd, but I'm honestly thinking that Norton Antivirus LiveUpdate installed that adware on my laptop. I say that because the same thing happened when I used LiveUpdate on my desktop, then ran Spybot.

Most people trust Norton completely -- like they trust their medical doctors. Who runs a spyware program to check up on Norton? Nobody, right? So what gives here? I thought Norton was playing David to Microsoft's Goliath. Could Norton have started playing like the big boys?

I still don`t think Norton is responsible for putting spyware on your system. I mean comeon, think about it, if Norton actually did that kind of thing, can you imagine the fallout it`d create? Also, I`ve never heard of anything like that happening and I deal with virus/spyware issues everyday. I think it`s probably just a coincidence.

Follow the instructions in the link I gave you and I`ll advise you further.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Alice Clagett only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice. However, I'm actually not interested in changing my spyware removal software.

I was just wondering if anyone else could confirm or disprove my thought that Norton Antivirus might be installing adware.

Thanks again for your help,
Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back