Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs?

Ford Prefect

Hi Folks,
I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (XPS410) and the System disc is on two WD Sata 2 hard drives in a RAID 0 combination. It's pretty good but I wanted to juice it up a little.
So in order to speed things up a bit I have replaced the RAID 0 discs with a single SSD.
(It's a SATA 3 SSD but is obviously going to work only at SATA 2 speed on my current mobo.)
The effect of having the SSD is that everything (apart from the time taken to load the BIOS of course) is now at least twice as fast. I.e. nearly all programs load in 50% or less than previously and other stuff is generally quicker.
My question is this:
If I were to buy another SSD and set up a RAID 0 formation with the two SSDs, would I see any further increase in performance?
I have two views and obviously one is wrong:
1. In RAID 0 twice as much data will be made available in the same time, so yes it should be faster?
2. RAID 0 improves performance by eliminating (or reducing) the seek latency on the second drive, but since this is tiny on an SSD, there won't be much difference?
Which view is correct please?
Regards.

Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs?
Of course - - - but WHY?
There will be no real advantage with Raid-0 on a SSD implementation.
An HDD has three timeing factors (move the head, wait for the rotation, transfer the data)
and the SSD only has the latter. The whole advantage of Raid-0 is to not wait for the
first two time - - Q.E.D, not viable on SSD.

Back