Is the floppy disk drive needed in this day + age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neild79

in the day of the cd/dvd drive, can anyone tell me what a floppy disk drive can be used for as i have one + dont know if i need it. should i remove it as its attached to an ide ribbon + isnt letting air flow through my pc...thank you

A floppy drive can be necessary for BIOS flashing and booting in DOS If you get a nasty virus or a corrupted boot line in your HDD.If you use older programs that were made in the DOS,Win 3.1,Win95 era they may only save to a floppy. Floppy is also good for saveing files like Word doccuments,Excel spreadsheats,and other files that need to be transported from one computer to another but are too small to waste a CD on.You should defently keep your floppy.If air flow is a problem replace the ribbon with a round cable.

ABSOLUTELY. I wouldn't build even a real fancy computer without one.

They are still required for core internal changes like BIOS updates as all modern PC compatible computers have 8088 architechture at the very root of the CPU.

Also some programs require boot disks - especially back up programs and some anti-virus programs.

For $5 it's well worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back