Is the upgrade from 7 to 8 worth it?

childofthetao

Hi, I'm building a new computer and was wondering if it's worth paying for an upgrade to Windows 8. IMO the only way it would be worth is if somehow Windows 8 gave better performance in games.

I'm upgrading to i7 3770, H77 platform.

What's ya thoughts?

For me no, but your needs and desires may be different.

Personally I don't see how games would make much difference. Seriously the biggest differences would be DirectX 11.0 (Win7) vs DirectX 11.1 (Win8) vs DirectX 11.2 (Win8.1). I can live without the minor DirectX updates, just so I don't have to deal with the GUI changes in Win8. If the GUI changes don't bother you, then there really is no reason not to upgrade to Windows 8.

Most benchmarks show that Win 7 and Win 8 give the same performance in the majority of games. I only upgraded due to having a cheap upgrade deal that I got when I bought a laptop with Win 7. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. You can always try out Windows 8.1 preview and see what you think yourself (unless it is no longer available for trial).

Having used 7 and 8 I do like both versions and do like windows 8's interface due to buying a Windows 8 phone, however I do not like IE.

Back