Is This The Best I Can Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassy

I have 20 computers (XP-P)along with a 1TB network HD connected using WORKGROUPS (no internet connection). All machines, network HD, and router/switcher are 1Gb. The best I can do speed wise is 25% or about 130Mb/sec. All the machines show a yellow triange with ! on the network connection on the task bar - I assumed this was due to the lack of a internet connection - but could something else be wrong? The LaCie network HD is advertised to allow 25 connections.

Are you running DHCP or statically assigning addresses?
Be sure that each machine has a unique IP, the correct subnet mask and a gateway(gateway not really necessary for a single isolated subnet).

Note that Gigabit network speeds will appear 8 times slower when measured as bytes.

The advertised number of connections may be 25, but what about the speed the connections get?

Leaving problems with your network in general aside, the file server inside your network HD might just be some cheap 40MHz controller with limited processing power and memory.

Try connecting the network drive to only one computer (ideally with a gigabit crossover cable) and see if you get better speeds.

The network Hd was set to DHCP, I changed it to manual. I'm drawing a blank on how to manually set the IP and subnet and each computer - can someone help me?

To manually set IP addresses, you need to get to the TCP properies of the network adapter.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network connections

Right Click the Local Area Connection adapter and choose properties
In the scroll window, locate the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Select it and click the properties button.

Assign your addessing here.

When you've finished, click ok to all the windows, when you close the Local Area Connection Properties, the settings will take effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back