Issue with swapping main ssd

Deshra

I have a 60 gb ssd in my system currently but it’s showing signs of failing, (loading issues, games that use hardrive to run stutter badly). So my wife got me a 120 gb ssd to replace it.
I’ve tried cloning three times and even after setting it to boot from it in bios it won’t, I even tried a win 7 repair and that failed then on second attempt it couldn’t recognize the version of Windows.
The reason I’m going through this hassle instead of fresh install and reinstall of programs is all my games etc are on secondary hdd. Several have specifically coded shortcuts that are the only way those games will launch. On top of that it would be days of work for me to restore it all by hand mainly because of my disability, and I’d like to get back to gaming sooner rather than later so I can subvert my pain with gaming.

I’ve tried macrium reflect, and the program that came with the clone tool my wife bought me, (it’s an adapter that plugs into the ssd and a USB port.). Neither allowed it to boot. How Can I either clone it and get it to work or how can I just reinstall Windows and copy say all my desktop settings from my old C ssd to the new one so everything will work? Do I just need to copy the desktop and registry files?
Thank you all for any help with this in advance!

Well then you have no other choice but to back up all of your data then you will need to start from scratch.
You could ask your wife to give you a hand if you have trouble moving your arms hands or whatever that maybe impairing you.
If thats not an issue then just bare with it, start to develop some patience, get crackin on installing windows.
It should take half a day or half the night to get everything back and reconfigured which is technically 4 to 5 hours..
If you have a slow internet connection, then I feel you're pain on that, especially with huge game files from steam.

In all honesty, the best course of action for you would be to take the new drive back, and get a Samsung model. Their migration software is really fool proof, and dead easy to use. I've tried the other, "clone me" things you have, and always come back to Samsung for my SSDs..

Not being a gamer though, I don't quite know what you mean by a, "specially coded shortcut".. I'm just used to a right click, "create shortcut", and cut and paste it to the desktop.. Windows will actually move it for you.

I imagine you could back up your current registry to the HDD, and paste it in after Windows is installed on the new drive. OK, that's just a wild guess, not a guarantee of any sort

In all honesty, the best course of action for you would be to take the new drive back, and get a Samsung model. Their migration software is really fool proof, and dead easy to use. I've tried the other, "clone me" things you have, and always come back to Samsung for my SSDs..

Not being a gamer though, I don't quite know what you mean by a, "specially coded shortcut".. I'm just used to a right click, "create shortcut", and cut and paste it to the desktop.. Windows will actually move it for you.

I imagine you could back up your current registry to the HDD, and paste it in after Windows is installed on the new drive. OK, that's just a wild guess, not a guarantee of any sort

By specially coded I’m referring to making a game load from a shortcut without recognizing more than 2 cores, or any other specialized load process, on top of that my fallout 3 I ran FOSE to modify the game startup further and it’s been so long I don’t remember all I did.
I found a couple things I can try, apparently macrium has a recovery environment that may work where my oem win disc one didn’t. As for taking the ssd back that isn’t an option, we moved over 3 hrs from where we used to live since we bought the ssd and I’m on disability, I can’t afford to just buy another.

*Update*
I think I may have just discovered what’s causing my problem.
For some reason in disk management my 2 tb storage drive is listed as disk 0 and has a 100mb system reserved partition while my C drive is disk 1 with no system reserved partition.
If this is causing the problem how do I fix it?

*update .2*
I tried disconnecting my storage drive (my 2tb that for some reason is listing as disk0 and has the system reserved partition.) and booting my pc up with the ssd I’m trying to clone. (Not my new drive, the old one). Instead of loading like normal it went Into “windows is loading files” and instead of my password screen I got the win 7 install screen.

Last edited:
@Deshra It sounds like you have somehow, however inadvertently, managed to get your OS stored on the 2 TB storage drive, instead of the SSD.

If there is still an OS on the SSD, (or if there ever was one), you could try booting from there.

So, you can try resetting the boot order in BIOS, (sometimes the BIOS has a separate instruction key to enter boot order), if not, boot directly into BIOS and change it there.

I'm curious as to what you did, and how you managed to get a Windows installation protocol installed on the SSD. Was there ever a Windows disc called for while you were playing with Macrium?

It sounds like you got the destination drive wrong with the migration software, and it cloned your OS to the storage drive...:eek::D

EDIT: T reread your OP, and it seems to me, if your C;/ SSD is that trashed, it may be what's preventing the migration software from working. ?

Last edited:
@Deshra It sounds like you have somehow, however inadvertently, managed to get your OS stored on the 2 TB storage drive, instead of the SSD.

If there is still an OS on the SSD, (or if there ever was one), you could try booting from there.

So, you can try resetting the boot order in BIOS, (sometimes the BIOS has a separate instruction key to enter boot order), if not, boot directly into BIOS and change it there.

I'm curious as to what you did, and how you managed to get a Windows installation protocol installed on the SSD. Was there ever a Windows disc called for while you were playing with Macrium?

It sounds like you got the destination drive wrong with the migration software, and it cloned your OS to the storage drive...:eek::D

EDIT: T reread your OP, and it seems to me, if your C;/ SSD is that trashed, it may be what's preventing the migration software from working. ?
I made 100% which direction the clone was going. It’s easy to tell 120gb from 2tb plus the manufacturers are different. All my windows files are on my original ssd, the only OS portion on my slave is the 100mb system reserved partition. Windows OS is much larger than that so I know by size alone my SSD has all of windows.
I don’t know if that system reserved partition not being on my main drive or the aging sad itself is what’s preventing the clone, I’m trying to remove all possibilities that could prevent clone before I’m left with it just being the ssd itself.

Back