Issues with downloads folder

hanlonconnor

Lately I have been having an issue with downloads. Whenever I clear something out of my download folder it reappears within a few hours. No matter what program I use to delete the files (native Recycle Bin, ccleaner, spybot's secure shredder) they always come back. Does anyone know why this might be happening and how I can fix it?
Thanks,
Connor

There is no way to give you sensible advice without knowing your Operating System and just what kind of downloads you are referring to.

The best guess at the moment is you have Win 7 of some variety and the downloads are microsoft updates for the OS or updates for common applications such as Java. If this guess is not correct, then let us know. It would help if you give an exact filename of one of these downloads. For example avg_free_stb_all_9_114_cnet.exe or IEDevToolBarSe...msi

I am using Windows 7 Professional Service Package 1, 32 Bit OS. I have had no issues with Windows Update, however Java is one of the files that will return. AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Beta3 is an example of files. I believe they are all from Chrome and I have checked through the settings in there to try and fix it. The files range from updates such as ATI drivers, Java, etc to Word or PDF files or music or pictures.

It is beginning to look to me that you are seeing repetitive downloads which are actually not the same download. For example Java is notorious for being so buggy it can get several updates a month at the moment. These updates might well all have the same name, but are actiually a debug-of-a-debug thing.

In a similar way AMD catalyst drivers are frequent. Especially if it calls itself a beta, it is certainly not expected to be right-first-time, so another one will be coming......

You are probably aware that Java at least has an entry in control panel, in which you can define that the updates should automatically appear, or not. I always either (a) dont install much adobe and sun and oracle software in the first place (b) always choose to check myself for updates. I become aware of the need because many browsers tell you their add-on's need updating or you can subscribe to free US-CERT Alerts for which the latest Java alert was US-CERT Alert TA13-032A - Oracle Java 7 Multiple Vulnerabilities dated 02-02-2013 (for instance).

You might have turned off some software automatic updates, but you can find it quite hard, and I have seen rumours that some software is ignoring 'dont download' instructions and most reset it 'on' after every update anyway - including those you do yourself.

That is my reading for some of your downloads, anyway. Word or PDFs, music or pictures reappearing is not so clear, but possibly you need to research what the confounded 'libraries' feature in Windows 7 is doing. It is not the files themsleves that you see there, it is indexes and links to them. You can delete the index or the link, and by design it will reappear when Windows does it's maintenance thing untill you delete the actual file in it's actual location.

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly new to Win 7 myself, http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-libraries-–-and-why-you-want-them/ and I think I have seen other comments to the effect that they can have unexpected side-effects and be a bit of a nuisance at times.

Back