J&R lists Toshiba 'Thrive' Honeycomb tablet for pre-order

Jos

Staff

Toshiba's long expected entry to the tablet market is one step closer to reality. Although we have yet to hear official launch details from the company, Engadget this past weekend reported that the company's first Android Honeycomb 3.0 device would use the brand name "Thrive" and a pre-order page at J&R reinforces that notion.

Besides apparently confirming a name after months of teasing the listing also spills the beans on pricing. The 10-inch tablet is available with two internal storage capacities in Wi-Fi only configurations, a 8GB model is $449 and a 32GB model is $579. An earlier product listing from Newegg showed those two models alongside a 16GB model for $500. They'll all come with a dual core 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, a 1,280 x 800 display, 2MP and 5MP front and rear cameras, Bluetooth 3.0+ connectivity, an SD memory card reader, HDMI and USB 2.0 support.

A rather unique feature Toshiba is touting is the ability to swap batteries, unlike most other tablets. The back cover will also be removable and replaceable with other covers that Toshiba will sell in a variety of colors.

No product images were featured on J&R though we already have a pretty good idea of what the device will look like as it was already shown off at CES and later at MWC.  There are no concrete details on availability besides a "coming soon" notice, though we're not sure what to make of it considering the launch of the Japanese version of this tablet -- known as the Regza Tablet AT300 -- was recently delayed to the third quarter of 2011.

Permalink to story.

A rather unique feature Toshiba is touting is the ability to swap batteries, unlike most other tablets. The back cover will also be removable and replaceable with other covers that Toshiba will sell in a variety of colors.
Praise the Lord! It doubles as a fashion accessory!

New tablet manufacturer every week now.

Tablets have become the technology equivalent of boy bands. Cute, flashy, stylish, and fun for a while. But ultimately talentless, and will leave us wondering how ever bought into it.

I fell for this sort of trendy worthless equipment once, never again. Bought an awesome top of the line HP iPaq PDA back in 2004. Couldn't do half of what my laptop could do, was still too big for my pocket even without a case.

With cell phones in our pockets allowing for internet access anywhere within cell tower range, and laptops offering full computer capabilities (at the same size of a tablet). There is no real business demand for these products. Once consumers realize they've trendy not useful, the market will evaporate.

I for one won't have my investments bet on tablet manufactures when the music stops.

Mine can. Of course mine (Viewsonic G-Tablet) was never meant to run Honeycomb at all.

Back