Jaguar's all-electric E-type is coming in 2020

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Jaguar is catering to classic car lovers with its latest creation, an all-electric E-type restoration. We can't imagine this will be affordable for most or produced in large quantities so if you're interested and have the money, you'd better make plans soon rather than later.

British automaker Jaguar has announced production plans for an all-electric E-type based on a concept it first unveiled last year.

Developed through the company’s Classic Works facility, the retro rides aren’t reproductions but rather, fully factory restored and converted original E-types. They’ll come to life courtesy of the electric powertrain from the Jaguar I-Pace and be available with an optional touchscreen infotainment system.

Jaguar says the all-electric powertrain is roughly the same size as the vintage car’s original six cylinder engine. Because it’s also located in the same place, it shouldn’t have much if any impact on the vehicle’s weight distribution and handling. As such, suspension and brake modifications aren’t necessary.

The company notes that its 0-62 mph sprint takes significantly less than seven seconds but didn’t provide any other specific performance details. Last year’s concept featured a 40wKh battery with a range of about 170 miles.

Interestingly enough, the conversions will be fully reversible so if for some reason, you want your E-type to make noise again, it’ll be relatively painless to stuff a six cylinder engine back in it.

Electrek says the first deliveries will take place in 2020. No word yet on potential pricing but you can bet they won’t come cheap.

Permalink to story.

And it'll cost more than a used Ferrari F430... guess you have to love the E-Type to buy one.

Clarkson will probably love it though.

Cool concept, but yeah electric takes the soul out of every car.
Not entirely sure I agree with that. In the case of the E-Type, yeah it sure takes the original "soul". But the sheer power of an electric motor is its own soul. It sure is different though without gears, which I think is a lot of the fun in cars.

No "touchscreen infotainment" in a classic roadster, please. Unless you want to impersonate Austin Powers...

I'm somewhat split over modern enhancements of classic cars- 'over-restoring' them I feel can sometimes take something away from the vehicle. I judge it on a case by case basis. If it's a wreck when you begin, then a full 'as new' restoration with some modern upgrades I usually find acceptable. It's already near death so you're saving it.

However if the classic car has been well loved and reasonably maintained then I would be more hesitant to start overhauling it heavily. The charm and character, the history is important and every interior you completely rip out and part you replace rather than restore takes a little of that away. Live the era. Smell the antiquity of the old wood and leather? Nope, cos you threw it out! Mistake.

Preserve originality where possible.

The only way I would even DREAM of doing this to an E Type was if it was a wreck to start with. If you did it to a car already in decent condition I would only assume you are a stark raving madman.

That's just me. People all have their own ideas.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure I agree with that. In the case of the E-Type, yeah it sure takes the original "soul". But the sheer power of an electric motor is its own soul. It sure is different though without gears, which I think is a lot of the fun in cars.
Electric motor accelerates quickly cause it doesn't have a delay but in a longer run it falls short against similar powered gasoline engines, from what I saw and heard. I also think that a car doesn't have to be fast to have fun in it.

Electric motor accelerates quickly cause it doesn't have a delay but in a longer run it falls short against similar powered gasoline engines, from what I saw and heard. I also think that a car doesn't have to be fast to have fun in it.

Electric motors can have vast torque. The way most modern electric cars are designed they give you maximum torque the millisecond you apply throttle. Whereas a reciprocating internal combustion engine has a power curve. You might only approach peak torque at say 3000RPM and you only have maximum power at (for example) 7000RPM. Which is why they have gearboxes, so you can multiply torque at low RPM to aid pulling away and keep the engine closer to it's most useful power band at changeable road speeds.

A direct drive motor does not need to take time changing gear because of the huge starting torque band, and applies all that force instantly. Fast acceleration from a standing start.

However assuming the electric car does not have a gearbox as the motor approaches a higher RPM and higher road speeds, the power available drops off significantly. Conversely an ICE coupled to a gearbox where the ratios lengthen at road speed the engine spends much more of it's time in the upper reaches of it's power band.

At 125mph in a Tesla Model S for example it might now only be producing 200 horsepower at the wheels having dropped off from peak, whereas a sports car could at this stage be in a gear where the engine is giving >500 horsepower at the wheels. So the Tesla explodes away from a standstill but usually gets caught above 100mph where a (very fast) sports car continues to accelerate.

Last edited:
Looks like a retro-XKE ..... what's next? An all electric Astin Martain? Poor James Bond will be rolling over in his grave!

Gas powered Jags were notorious for break downs. Kalashnikov's just plain hardly ever do.
This is not a gas powered jag though and yes Kalashnikov are known for their tough dependable guns but their car is a first from them and a hideous first it is too. The CV-1 will no doubt cost a lot of money so if you had the money for an electric car and given the choice, which car would you want. I doubt the CV-1 could even compete whith a base model electric toyota or nissan.

Cool concept, but yeah electric takes the soul out of every car.

Oh don't worry, they'll probably include some goofy speaker system that pumps a "fake" REAL engine sound and probably give you the option to make it sound like a V8, rice burner or anything else.
Geez, the p*ssification of automobiles continues.

We can be calm, I guess nobody will pay for this disgrace. These cars have their own high price, would you risk your investment?

Looks like a retro-XKE ..... what's next? An all electric Astin Martain? Poor James Bond will be rolling over in his grave!
You sure you didn't mean John Bond? I don't think James Bond would even know what an "Astin Martain" is. ;)

Since Rimac converted an old Jaguar and gave it to Harry & Megan, someone in Jaguar must have said: "How come we didn't think of this". And now they are copying it. Or maybe they have a proper licensing agreement with Rimac.

Back