JBL solar-powered headphones promise 'unlimited playtime' via Powerfoyle solar cells

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Forward-looking: Get ready to throw away your charging cable with Harman's JLB solar headphones. The company claims that the headset will run "infinitely" after being exposed to two and a half hours of sunlight.

One of the drawbacks of using wireless headphones is interrupting your listening session to recharge your cans. If you have a set with swappable batteries, like SteelSeries Siberia 840, the pause for the cause is shortened to a few seconds but is still annoying.

Audio equipment manufacturer JBL is hoping to eliminate this frustration with a set of headphones powered by the sun. Parent company Harman started an Indiegogo campaign to crowdfund the concept into reality.

The over-ear headset, dubbed Reflect Eternal, promises “unlimited" listening through solar power that keeps the device charged. The company says it plans to utilize Exeger’s Powerfoyle material to gather both direct and indirect light to keep the headphones running. The same material is used in some of Logitech’s wireless keyboards like the K760, which works pretty well with indoor light.

In theory, JBL says that just an hour and a half of outdoor light will keep the cans charged for up to 69 hours, which is incredibly long compared to contemporary wireless headphones. If light sources ever become a problem, the company says users will be able to connect the Reflect Eternal via USB charging to get about two hours of playtime on a 15-minute charge.

It is important to note Harman's disclaimer about claimed playtimes.

"Playtime figures are based on estimates under certain lighting, charging and playtime conditions and an initially fully charged battery. Estimated charge time based on at least outside lux values of at least 50,000. Your actual conditions and playtime may vary."

Still, even a fraction of the declared uptime beats most charged battery models.

Bluetooth 5.0 will allow the headset to connect to just about any capable device. Hands-free calling, multi-device pairing, and JBL Pro Sound are also listed features.

The campaign has already met its crowdfunding goal, but it is still taking backers until January 14, 2020. A $99 pledge scores a set of Reflect Eternals, which start shipping next October. Harman lists a retail price of $165, so it’s a pretty good discount for those willing to purchase sight-unseen.

Permalink to story.

It's a pretty good idea assuming you actually can continue to get the amount of light necessary.

I know people who live in places with extremely spotty power issues that would greatly benefit from Solar Chargers for their devices like this.

It's a pretty good idea assuming you actually can continue to get the amount of light necessary.

I know people who live in places with extremely spotty power issues that would greatly benefit from Solar Chargers for their devices like this.

They say an hour and a half of outside light = 69 hours of playtime. That means even those who don't get a ton of light should still be good. In fact it sounds usable in most areas.

"Unlimited playtime" when wearing under the hot sun. Otherwise, still need to put it down somewhere with sunlight for "charging".

Not ideal for those living in hot countries.

And let's not forget the discoloration of the device when left for solar charging under sunlight accumulated through the months.

"Never plug your headphones in again, unless you live in a cave"

Of if you've got your head up your .......

If they added solar array wings they could make the wearer look like a tie fighter (and charge the headphones in no time).

As an additional benefit, this would block block out a good part of things (e.g. cars approaching from the side) that might distract the wearer from enjoying their music.

Remember when you plugged your headphones into your music player? Those never needed charging...

Still, I like this idea - when will it work for my smartphone though :)

Considering how delicate are solar panels I cannot quite fathom how it can be unlimited. Charging and discharging degrade efficiency. Low temperatures degrade efficiency, extreme temperature amplitudes, long periods breaks between uses... yes you guess it degrade...

There is potential and I can see usefulness of this project. But while replaceable batteries like AAA or something are fully recyclable waste. This headphones could be (or rather will be) another very problematic waste at the end of it life cycle.

This headphones could be (or rather will be) another very problematic waste at the end of it life cycle.

Wait, you are thinking about the entire product life cycle including the end ? That's not how it's (supposed to be) done.

/s

Ok, now how good is the battery and how many cycles can it handle?
Battery Type: Polymer Li-ion Battery (3.7V DC, 700mAh)

Charging Time: 2hrs from empty (via USB)

Music Play Time with BT On: Up to 24 hrs (with no SOLAR charging)

Music Play Time with BT On: Unlimited (with SOLAR charging¹)

Cycles is the real key.... will it be dead within 6 months?
I honestly don't know enough about solar or batteries to really know for sure how such a system works, but it seems to me if you are mostly relying on solar you'd be using very little battery. The Powerfoyle cells can capture enough indoor light to power a bluetooth keyboard. I'd imagine headphones would be around the same power consumption maybe a little more.

All I know for sure is I like the idea. I've always loved solar powered devices. I still have a solar calculator that I've had since middle school that still works perfectly. I won't say how old I am now, but I'll tell you I'm old enough to have stopped going to class reunions long ago. ;)

The idea of paying for something on the promise of delivery later is just weird. I don't know if people are just becoming too naive or I'm just too old fashioned, but I would never pay for something before actually having it in my possession. Just the same, I don't like the idea of buying things with deferred payments either, such as "no payments for x months" and similar advertising gimmicks.

Back