Jeff Bezos and his brother Mark will be on Blue Origin's first human spaceflight on July...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Blue Origin will conduct its first space tourism trip on July 20 and founder Jeff Bezos will be among the passengers on the historic flight. Although there was no public "race to space" among the world's top tech billionaires, one has to imagine that Bezos is pretty stoked about beating Elon Musk to the proverbial finish line.

Bezos in a recent Instagram post said he’s dreamed of traveling to space since he was five years old. On July 20, he will fulfill that dream alongside his brother Mark. “The greatest adventure, with my best friend,” Bezos described it as.

A third passenger will join the Bezos brothers – the winner of an ongoing auction over on Blue Origin’s website. That opportunity will conclude on June 12 with a live auction. Nearly 6,000 participants from 143 countries have already taken part in the auction, Blue Origin said.

The winning bid amount will be donated to the Club for the Future, Blue Origin’s foundation whose missions is “to inspire future generations to pursue careers in STEM and to help invent the future of life in space.”

Bezos founded the private aerospace company more than 20 years ago.

Come July 20, passengers will strap into the crew capsule and hitch a ride to the edge of space via Blue Origin’s New Shepard reusable rocket. Once Zero-G begins, the travelers will unbuckle and experience both weightlessness and incredible views of the Earth. Minutes later, they’ll strap back in and prepare for the wild ride back to solid ground.

The entire process is expected to last around 10 minutes.

Permalink to story.

This sounds like an old "Saturday Night Live" sketch.

"Quien es mas macho", Elon o Jeff? That's pronounced, "Heff".

Too bad this ain't happening, that guy (not Pezos) is 10 billion and 5 more years of actual research short of achieving orbit.
Looks good on power point.

You mean low earth orbit right?
Just so you can sorta see the curvature of the earth.

Their Blue Origin is a joke.

You mean low earth orbit right?
Just so you can sorta see the curvature of the earth.

Their Blue Origin is a joke.
Perhaps even slightly lower, just to the point where the ship stops making contrails, and even that starts decaying from the onset..

I have to wonder whether Musky will announce that he's going to put himself into orbit at an earlier date than Bezos.

I have to wonder whether Musky will announce that he's going to put himself into orbit at an earlier date than Bezos.
He doesn't have the ballz. More than likely, he'll start running his mouth claiming, "I could have done that years ago, but I was too busy saving the world building Teslas, (and manipulating bitcoin and Tesla stock prices)".

He proved he could do it by sending up his car with his dummy in it. Jeez, isn't that enough?

This is a tough room for, "poor Elon".

Last edited:
Back