John Madden, football and video game legend, dies at 85

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Football legend John Madden died unexpectedly on Tuesday at the age of 85. For readers of a certain age, John Madden was best known as the namesake of EA’s iconic football video game series. Others may remember him for leading the Raiders to a Super Bowl championship, or his memorable commentary as a broadcaster for every major television network.

John Madden Football debuted in 1988 with his likeness featured prominently on the front of the box. This trend would continue for more than a decade before EA started putting active NFL players on the cover. Still, the Madden name persisted and carries on to this day with the latest release in the series, Madden NFL 22.

Madden played football in college but his professional career was cut short before it even started due to a knee injury he suffered during training camp.

Enamored by the game, Madden shifted gears and embarked on a successful coaching career that would eventually see him lead the Oakland Raiders to a championship at Super Bowl XI in 1976.

After retiring as a coach, Madden launched an encore career as a sportscaster. From 1979 through 2008, he worked as a broadcaster and called Super Bowls for every major broadcaster. His aversion to flying meant he traveled to each venue via bus, which he dubbed the Madden Cruiser.

“Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today.” – NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Madden died at his home on December 28, 2021.

Permalink to story.

RIP. I was surprised to hear he was in football cause I don't know him until I saw NFL.

That confuses a lot of people cause the world knows football being what Americans call soccer, but the world calls the American sport Am-Football for clarity.

I think that kind of distinction should be applied in all reporting.
Just my 2c

I was a Raiders fan when he was coach and had the likes of Stabler, Casper, Biletnikoff, Otto. I'm a Lions fan whoever is playing on the team but I ain't a Raiders fan now cause in this case those players are long gone. RIP John

RIP. I was surprised to hear he was in football cause I don't know him until I saw NFL.

That confuses a lot of people cause the world knows football being what Americans call soccer, but the world calls the American sport Am-Football for clarity.

I think that kind of distinction should be applied in all reporting.
Just my 2c
This is because American websites assume that America is the center for the universe. It's funny, because in American Football they rarely use their feet. It should really be called Handball, but I guess that's not manly enough.

This is because American websites assume that America is the center for the universe. It's funny, because in American Football they rarely use their feet. It should really be called Handball, but I guess that's not manly enough.
And now this "ugly American" gets to have his say.. We call it "football", since we use our feet to; kickoff, punt, kick field goals, and extra points after touchdowns. I suppose we could call it, "hand and foot ball". But that's a bit cumbersome, don't you think?

We Americans are so impatient. We don't want to sit around for an hour and a half, just to see one point scored. From what I've seen in the news about Soccer, "the rest of the world", only sits through that boring a** sh!t, so they can participate in the almost certain to occur, riot afterwards.

Last edited:
It's called football because it kicks euro football's collective arse. We dont have to stop the game every 10 minutes because one of the players got a scratch and has to cry about it, we hae players playing full games with broken bones!

'murica.

It's called football because it kicks euro football's collective arse. We dont have to stop the game every 10 minutes because one of the players got a scratch and has to cry about it, we hae players playing full games with broken bones!

'murica.

Instead it's stopped every 11 seconds because everyone's out of breath?
Or maybe because they can't remember what to do next and have a committee meeting about it?
Or take a break so their corporate taskmasters can put 3x as much commercial time as play time during the game?

The rules for American football were codified before the rules for asSOCiation football, which also became known as SOCcer.

And now this "ugly American" gets to have his say.. We call it "football", since we use our feet to; kickoff, punt, kick field goals, and extra points after touchdowns. I suppose we could call it, "hand and foot ball". But that's a bit cumbersome, don't you think?

We Americans are so impatient. We don't want to sit around for an hour and a half, just to see one point scored. From what I seen in the news about Soccer, "the rest of the world", only sits through that boring a** sh!t, so they can participate in the almost certain to occur, riot afterwards.
Im a dual British and American and I prefer American Football to Soccer. Soccer is awful, you watch men pretending to be injured all the time, they just casually pass the ball about for like 99% of the time and then you might get a flash of brilliance whilst you're in the toilet. And then if you are at a game in Europe you have to watch out for violent soccer fans. American football isnt without its problems though, the teams are dumb, the coach has far too much involvement and it seems to be stopping and starting forever whilst they make changes. I do like American football fans though and the cheerleaders. I once spent a week with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleaders in Wembley rehearsing for the NFL in London, that was fun!

Rugby is where its at, its free flowing, physical, fast, its exciting from start to finish, teams take charge of themselves and the coach is sat way up in the stands. And the best part is there is practically no violence at rugby games. I believe in the UK, the queens longest unguarded public appearance was in the Rugby world cup final 1991 at Twickenham stadium in London in front of 80,000 fans or so.

He was the best football broadcaster - was the first commentator to actually be knowledgeable AND entertaining. Plus he had a great voice :)

I miss the All-Madden teams that he used to put together every year... He was great - player, coach, broadcaster, and human being. RIP Madden.

Rugby is where its at, its free flowing, physical, fast, its exciting from start to finish, teams take charge of themselves and the coach is sat way up in the stands. And the best part is there is practically no violence at rugby games. I believe in the UK, the queens longest unguarded public appearance was in the Rugby world cup final 1991 at Twickenham stadium in London in front of 80,000 fans or so.
+1 on this! Rugby is an actually fun sport to watch.

+1 on this! Rugby is an actually fun sport to watch.
So your username is indicative to your nationality? You are from the home of the All Blacks? Im from a welsh family and three of my family even played for Wales back in the 1950s. Unfortunately that was the last time we beat the all blacks :confused:

He was by far one of the more entertaining figures to watch as a Sports Broadcaster and a pretty darn good coach too ..... I'll miss his beer commercials! Of course I would miss anyone that did beer commercials ..... except for Billy Beer ..... LOL

So your username is indicative to your nationality? You are from the home of the All Blacks? Im from a welsh family and three of my family even played for Wales back in the 1950s. Unfortunately that was the last time we beat the all blacks :confused:

Actually I'm not a Kiwi, I just really appreciate competitive, entertaining, and challenging sport. I've watched the All Blacks play many times on TV but here in the US the options for that, especially if you choose not to siphon all your finances to a cable TV company, are slim. Needless to say I always consult the listings when those opportunities arise.

Fond memories of Madden v1 on a Sega Genesis during a time when you only needed 3 action buttons on a controller. Those were the days.

Last edited:
Instead it's stopped every 11 seconds because everyone's out of breath?
Or maybe because they can't remember what to do next and have a committee meeting about it?
Too many concussions can do that to a player (**). American football does have strategy involved. It's not just running up and down the field accomplishing nothing.
Or take a break so their corporate taskmasters can put 3x as much commercial time as play time during the game?
Well. that's all American TV is about overall. The only thing that separates (our) football from the rest of US broadcast TV, is that they can generally charge more for each minute of commercial airtime.

(**) An old girlfriend was dismissive of men she felt were intellectually stunted saying, "he's spent too much time playing football without a helmet".

Last edited:
Too many concussions can do that to a player (**). American football does have strategy involved. It's not just running up and down the field accomplishing nothing.

Well. that's all American TV is about overall. The only thing that separates (our) football from the rest of US broadcast TV, is that they can generally charge more for each minute of commercial airtime.

(**) An old girlfriend was dismissive of men she felt were intellectually stunted saying, "he's spent too much time playing football without a helmet".
I think the solution to the concussion problem is a return to leather helmets with no facemask. That will take away the battering ram players have on their heads and make them change the way they hit.

Actually I'm not a Kiwi, I just really appreciate competitive, entertaining, and challenging sport. I've watched the All Blacks play many times on TV but here in the US the options for that, especially if you choose not to siphon all your finances to a cable TV company, are slim. Needless to say I always consult the listings when those opportunities arise.
I watched the All Blacks slaughter the Americans earlier this year. It was a cricket score! The Americans have gone backwards at rugby recently but thats their own fault. If rugby was more popular in the USA they could be outstanding at it, its a massive shame.

They don't even use a ball. It's hand-egg.

Back