John Wick is being turned into an action-strategy game

David Matthews

Staff member
Something to look forward to: John Wick is finally being made into a game... just not the one you think. This is an action-strategy game where you plan every move X-Com style. While Wick's trademark action choreography is preserved, it'll be interesting to see if gamers like the shift to a strategy-oriented game.

John Wick has been a decent box office hit in the past few years with its mixture of fast-paced, highly choreographed "gun-fu" and gory kills. While movie fans will flock to see the third installment of the film trilogy next week, video game fans will be able to play the titular character in a new action-strategy game called John Wick Hex, which is being published by Good Shepherd Entertainment and directed by indie game creator Mike Bithell.

While most might assume that a game based on John Wick would be a third-person action thriller with intense shootouts, Bithell likens it to "fight-choreographed chess" than a straight up action game. The game adapts the movie's signature gun fu into a strategy game where the player must plan the best route through enemies while considering the consequences of their actions such as reloading and ammo. While the game is obviously based on the movie franchise, it will have an original story.

Interestingly, Wick actor Keanu Reeves hasn't yet been confirmed to voice the character in-game although Lance Reddick and Ian McShane will reprise their roles as Charon and Winston respectively. Bithell and his team worked with the movie's actual stunt choreographers to recreate the moves John Wick would realistically use. As an added detail, players will also have access to Wick's trademark suits and weapons.

No official release date has been announced yet, but the game will initially release on PC and Mac through the Epic Games Store with console support to come later on. Watch the official game trailer below:

Permalink to story.

Anything with Keeno Reeves in it stinks. I give the guy credit though. He has made a pant full of $ offa no acting skills whatsoever.

You do know that he actually did n still does Karate, Judo n all the rest. He had to learn n actually do it for the Matrix. Its how he was able to do John Wick. Which he has stated before.

You do know that he actually did n still does Karate, Judo n all the rest. He had to learn n actually do it for the Matrix. Its how he was able to do John Wick. Which he has stated before.
Even for Firearms handling and combat movement he had special training to make J.W. . Videos on YT.

Even for Firearms handling and combat movement he had special training to make J.W. . Videos on YT.
Anything with Keeno Reeves in it stinks. I give the guy credit though. He has made a pant full of $ offa no acting skills whatsoever.
I would agree that his acting skills are lacking but he's still managed to be in some amazing films. His cluelessness was pretty suitable in The Matrix for his character, The Bill and Ted films were "Excellent" and the John Wick ones are good action/popcorn flicks

I would agree that his acting skills are lacking but he's still managed to be in some amazing films. His cluelessness was pretty suitable in The Matrix for his character, The Bill and Ted films were "Excellent" and the John Wick ones are good action/popcorn flicks

Despite his rough personal life, he is trying to be normal, like recent activity with the passengers when the plane did an emergency landing and he helped all to get to their destination...
Probably other well known celebrities do the same that we don't even know of... :)

100% correct.
I watched the movie, his dog gets killed and goes out and causes total mayhem in the town. That makes absolutely no sense. Regardless the poor acting skills, waste of time movie.

100% correct.
I watched the movie, his dog gets killed and goes out and causes total mayhem in the town. That makes absolutely no sense. Regardless the poor acting skills, waste of time movie.

If you think his reason for causing mayhem was simply about the dog, you had no idea what was actually going on.

Anything with Keeno Reeves in it stinks..
Hey everyone, 'The Matrix' stinks.:facepalm:
It's only one of the best science fiction movies ever made with excellent acting.

I give the guy credit though. He has made a pant full of $ offa no acting skills whatsoever.
Most critics don't understand various types of range either, don't feel bad you've jumped on the silly and ridiculous bandwagon of Reeve's not being able to act, that's a large ship of fools.

Hey everyone, 'The Matrix' stinks.:facepalm:
It's only one of the best science fiction movies ever made with excellent acting.

Most critics don't understand various types of range either, don't feel bad you've jumped on the silly and ridiculous bandwagon of Reeve's not being able to act, that's a large ship of fools.
Do you keep your bobble head next to you while you eat?

Do you keep your bobble head next to you while you eat?
It's actually a stress squishy and I use it when I read bandwagon trendy posts about an opinion someone formed from reading or seeing something instead of forming their own opinion.
And if that is still your opinion after watching his movies, fine, your entitled to it. Here's something that isn't an opinion. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/awards

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather watch any given Keanu Reeves movie over, say, Ben Affleck.

Back to the game... it'd "feel" so much better if he does the voice acting for John Wick. At the moment, I can't see (or rather, hear) someone else doing the character justice. But, that's just me.

Back