Karbonn's upcoming smartphone will run both Android and Windows Phone

Scorpus

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Karbonn Mobile might not be a household name outside of India, but the company is looking to do something no other smartphone manufacturer has done yet: produce a handset that dual-boots both Android and Windows Phone.

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/55862-karbonns-upcoming-smartphone-will-run-both-android-and-windows-phone.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Kibaruk

TechSpot Paladin
They havent tried for a reason :p

I'm not sure I'll get a low end phone to dual boot into windows phone, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Nor a WP user will get one of those to dual boot into android, it doesn't make sense either.

Unless, the integration between Windows is actually made into the phones OS so you'll eventually be running not WP but Windows in a phone, in which case a dual boot into android makes a tiny bit of sense, still not much.

Wagan8r

TS Evangelist
Yeah, they really need to take advantage of WP 8.1's on-screen keys rather than having the awkward WP hardware keys along with the Android on-screen keys.

GhostRyder

TS Evangelist
Now this is a good idea, I think having phones where you can choose the operating system is a good thing in my book.

GhostRyder

TS Evangelist
Well you actually pick a phone because of it's OS, right?
Yea but I just mean same phone different OS is a nice option because it does not force you to other (Albeit Similar) devices if you like the phone but don't like the OS. I think if most phones worked like that already (Many do or are starting) then it will be a great improvement on the mobile market.

Teko03

TS Evangelist
Yeah, they really need to take advantage of WP 8.1's on-screen keys rather than having the awkward WP hardware keys along with the Android on-screen keys.
Agreed. I thought WP 8.1's support for on-screen soft keys was the reason that out of the blue a manufacturer decided to build a dual booted "Windroid Phone". But to my surprise they aren't even taking advantage of it, unless this is just a random render.