Kernel 2.4.18 problems!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast0r

My OS is Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 I'm trying to update my 2.2.5 kernel to 2.4.18. Though im getting an error when i type 'make menuconfig' i also tried the other configs like make xconfig etc. And I get errors. But I want to just focus on 'make menuconfig' anyway. The error is as follows:

rm -d include/asm
(cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make: *** scripts/lxdialog: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

Any suggestions? Help would be really appreciated!!

please use only xconfig if you are a beginner.

now, what I believe is happening to you here is something that I have had before, which is that for some reason the compiler does not like one or more of the choices that you have made.

firstly, try compiling without ACPI. You may well find that that will solve the problem. Also, did you correctly choose your CPU type in the options??

As I said, only use xconfig. menuconfig is like there mostly for legacy purposes and certainly isn't intended for mortals like us.

now, do you also notice that there is a "LOAD CONFIGURATION FROM FILE" option??? well, inside the "configs" folder you will find some preset config files. perhaps you could select one that matches your architecture and go from there, as opposed to making ALL of the choices on your own???

You will also find, if you did not junk your old kernel sources, that there is a .config file which was likely used by the installation program itself to compile your original kernel during installation (well, it least I think so anywayz....) You might want to try that. You should be able to use an older .config file with newer sources just fine.

But essentially that's it. You have just made a choice somewhere (and presumably kept on making it,) that the compiler does not like with this source. What you have probably found is a bug. So I suggest looking harder at the choices you are making in the kernel customisation.

Please follow this procedure for compiling your own kernel (and certainly the steps in bold at any rate:

make mrproper # Not necessary for a recompile
make [config|menuconfig|xconfig] # Choose one; xconfig is easiest
make dep
make clean
make [zImage|bzImage] # I always use bzImage these days
make modules
make modules_install

Save the old kernel (I keep a "current" and an "old" copy) -
mv /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17 /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-old

Put the new image in /boot and rename it -
cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17

I have symlinks, "/vmlinuz" and "/vmlinuz-old", to "/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17" and "/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-old";

all that remains, since my "/etc/lilo.conf" is properly set up, is to run "/sbin/lilo":

Odin:~# lilo
Added Linux *
Added OldLinux
Added dos
Odin:~#

Save the old system map -
mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map-old

Copy the new one -
cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17/System.map /boot

Save the old configuration file -
mv /boot/config-2.2.17 /boot/config-2.2.17-old

Copy the new one -
cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17/.config /boot/config-2.2.17
source: http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/tag/16.html

particularly, did you do a make dep and a make clean???

Failing that, give up and upgrade to a later version of Caldera Linux (aren't they up to 3.1.1 or something?) or else download a new set of .iso for red hat linux 7.3 which comes with the 2.4.18 kernel already.

if you manage to figure out from anything that I have said the solution to your problem please will you post the solution here.

So, does the directory scripts/lxdialog exist? In my 2.4.18 kernel directory, there's 21 files, 186k in that directory (though I just upgraded 2.4.17 with patch).
Maybe you should check that the source code package itself isn't corrupted. There could have been an error when downloading.

Yep, everything is ok now the downlod wasn't complete. Duh @ me. :blackeye: < a blacky eye? hahaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back