Keyboard / Mouse Keyboard keys randomly stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up this morning and some of the keys on my keyboard have stopped working.

Im nearly 100% sure it isnt a faulty keyboard but rather a virus or something that is remapping my keyboard. The keyboard has been working fine up until today when the f, y, m, and ' keys stopped working all at once. Nothing spilled on the keyboard.. nothing like that. Ive tried a system restore but it didnt solve anything.

I tried to do some research on my own, but didnt find much.. one guy had the same problem, but I didnt see any concrete fixes.

One thing that makes me think its a remapping problem is that when i hold down the f, m, y, and ' keys and hit x, the return is " \eqx ". Holding different combos of the keys that arent working yields different results, but results nonetheless, and since theres some sort of return when i hit the keys, i assume they still work but something on the computer happened. The other person who had this issue that I found gave me the idea of holding down the keys and hitting x, since he did it and had the same results.

Is there a known virus that I may have? Any way to restore the key set/map to factory defaults? Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Thanks

Tmagic650

So have you verified that you have no virus or other malware infections? Download and run free Malwarebytes, and see if it flags some malware

Tekkaraiden

First thing to try would be to try another keyboard to rule out a defective keyboard. After that do what Tmagic650 suggests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ran malwarebytes and AVG, both full scans. Nothing was detected by malwarebytes, but i had quite a few trojans found by AVG which were taken care of (i admit im not very good when it comes to scanning for trojans regulary.. altho i will from now on). After the scan I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it back in.. and that didnt work (what a surprise).

Unfortunatly, i dont have a spare keyboard which i can try on this computer.. im going to buy a cheap one tomorrow and see if that works since i really dont know what else to do at this point.

But the whole holding the letters down and hitting x and returning as \eqx is really strange to me and still makes me think something happened on my computer that i dont know about, since a dead keyboard wouldnt yield ANY results.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there any way I can test if my keyboard is the problem without getting a new one?

Tekkaraiden

You could download a live CD version of Linux and run that and see how the keyboard works. A live cd version boots the operation system off the cd so I won't destroy your installation of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.