KFC partners with 3D-bioprinting firm to make chicken nuggets from plant matter and poultry...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: It would seem fake meats are the latest trend in restaurants these days. Not one to be left behind, KFC announced it would be making artificial chicken nuggets for its "restaurant of the future" concept. It's the processing that will set the Colonel's meat apart, as the company plans to 3D print the chicken morsels.

Fried chicken franchise KFC has partnered with Moscow-based company 3D Bioprinting Solutions to create an artificial chicken nugget in the laboratory. The new bioprinting technology under development will print meat using a mixture of "chicken cells and plant material."

The move is an effort to create a more environmentally friendly and healthy alternative to real chicken meat. It is part of the company's "restaurant of the future concept." KCF says that the end product will have the taste and texture of chicken meat with very little involvement for the animals. The nuggets will supposedly be "cleaner" than its contemporary counterpart.

"Biomeat has exactly the same microelements as the original product, while excluding various additives that are used in traditional farming and animal husbandry, creating a cleaner final product," said the company in its press release.

The company cites a study from the American Environmental Science and Technology Journal, stating that producing meat from animal cells would use about half the energy of traditional farming.

KFC is not the only restaurant chain to consider introducing artificial meat to its menu. Last year, Burger King began offering its Impossible Whopper nationwide. McDonald's has also been testing "Beyond Meat" burgers in Canada.

The primary difference with KFC's product is that it still uses animal cells, whereas The King's and McDonald's "meats" are entirely vegetable-based. So the new nuggets might not draw many vegetarians, and will undoubtedly be avoided by the vegan market.

Image credit: Pavlovska Yevheniia

Permalink to story.

Being a native of Kentucky and a regular visitor to the Harlan Sanders Dinner House when I was younger I can say as a fact that the Colonel would never stand for such "waste" and would have suggested they stick there thumb where is was no longer finger lick'n good!

Being a native of Kentucky and a regular visitor to the Harlan Sanders Dinner House when I was younger I can say as a fact that the Colonel would never stand for such "waste" and would have suggested they stick there thumb where is was no longer finger lick'n good!

If it taste as good and comes without the animal cruelty and additives, I don't see the problem here. This is still chicken meat, just grown in a different way. I think the Colonel would at least try it before casting judgement. From the other taste tests I've seen of lab grown meat, it's good.

If this can really be accomplished at an affordable price, being able to get real meat, with vitamin B12 in addition to protein, without harm to living animals, would be wonderful.

Will Greenpeace or other organization make sure those 3D printers suffer no unnecessary cruelty?
Will MPAA or other rights management organization charge by single nugget or a bucket?

Sorry, I won't bother. I am a carnivore. If I wanted to eat plants, I would eat vegetables (which I do from time to time). But, I like MEAT. Real MEAT. If you want to eat this, feel free, but I'll stick to
beef, chicken, fish etc.

If they cost more than nuggets and veggies don’t buy them this won’t take off. This is the problem, veggies are very picky, they require entirely different machinery to cook items in. The fake whopper which contains no animal cells was shunned by the veggie community for being cooked on the same grill as the beef.

Chicken cells and plant matter, I perhaps incorrectly assume would not have to be refrigerated. If so then that's a significant development.

Why would they do that?

Well, because in 2008 there was this:
A founder of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, said she had been hoping to get the organization involved in advancing in vitro meat technology for at least a decade.

But, Ms. Newkirk said, the decision to sponsor a prize caused “a near civil war in our office,” since so many PETA members are repulsed by the thought of eating animal tissue, even if no animals are killed.

Lisa Lange, a vice president of the organization, said she was part of the heated exchange. “My main concern is, as the largest animal rights organization in the world, it’s our job to introduce the philosophy and hammer it home that animals are not ours to eat.” Ms. Lange added, “I remember saying I would be much more comfortable promoting eating roadkill.”

Ms. Newkirk said the disagreement was natural, adding, “We will have members leave us over this.”

“People say [that] animal rights people can’t agree,” she said. “Well, human beings can’t agree. In any social cause community, there are people who strive for purity.”

Back