Killed mobo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Well I have been upgrading some more with the usual n0. 3 machine as the emergency backup and youngest kids toy.

So I rebuilt no.2 machine and so I had some spares to put into the then working Epox8kta3+pro ( a board that has alwaus been pretty skittish and finally drove me to asus)
I fitted some now spare sdram and the spare 1.4 tbird would not boot, took everything out , cleared cmos , put back as was, put in new 400w psu put in known working g,card checked every connection tried on different monitor just will not start.

I am pretty sure that the mobo is dead but it is still a challenge. I have tried lots of memory as I have lots now as all the other machines have ddr and also the 1000 Tbird that was working.

I think I should just get a cheap new mobo but am a little baffeled now by the fact that most say sdram ddram both dont fit the same slot and I have loads of sdram.
Am I missing something and can you suggest a cheap mobo to do the Job using this stuff,

1.4 tbird 4 sticks of 128mb pc 100 168pin sdram dvd player cd scsi writer internal with card sb audidgy choice of gforce 2mx of matrox g400 g card and some stuff,

Could you try running a simply hardware setup with that board, and then tell us EXACTLY what happens when you boot?

Do you get a POST, or a flashing cursor top left of screen? No power up on the monitor? no power up at all? power light on the case but nothing happens?

I assume you tried a barebones boot already, and tried reseating everything and checking all the cables and the connections to the mobo. If you checked all that, you are pretty much left with a dead board since everything else is known good components.

I have done that I have been checking the post LEDs which sometimes do checks upto 25 26 then ff then unless i shut off and clear cmos go to ff quite quick the monitor never even flickers and I have tried 2 and also checked existing works with an ok setup.
I am pretty sure its the mobo as it used to be really unhappy about how the memory was set in quite gritty/crunchy but I have wiggled and tried any different combo.

I think I need a new mobo but I want to use existing memory.

ECS K7S5A Pro

Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron Processors
Chipset: SiS 735
FSB: 266/200MHz
RAM: 2x 184-pin for DDR200/266 or 2x 168-pin for PC100/PC133 Max 1GB
can not be used simultaneously
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 33/66/100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 5x PCI, 1x AMR
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,4xUSB2.0(Rear),6xUSB1.1(via header),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: CMI9738 4-Channel AC97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8201BL 10/100Mbps
Form Factor: ATX

$38.00 at Newegg

That looks like it should do.
I have even looked on ebay then gave up when the prices for used caught up with the new.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back