Kingston announces world's fastest Intel-certified memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Kingston Technology has unveiled what they claim is the "fastest Intel-certified memory in the world." The memorably named KHX2400C9D3T1K2/4GX kit features two 2GB modules working at 2,400MHz with CL 9-11-9-27 latencies at an Intel friendly 1.65V. The modules support Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP), which should make things easy when it comes time to tweak settings, and are cooled by Kingston's recognizable blue T1 HyperX heatsinks.

The memory modules were reportedly able to deliver these speeds when tested on several P55-based systems, including the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard. There's no word on pricing yet, but we wouldn't count on them being cheap as Kingston says that the new memory kit is targeted at "enthusiasts, gamers, and benchmarkers looking to scale new memory heights." They are also backing them with a lifetime warranty and free 24/7 technical support.

A look at Intel's memory qualification chart (PDF) shows that Kingston's memory is just ahead of Corsair's CMGTX1, which runs at 2,333MHz with identical latencies and voltages. These are priced at a hefty $200 per 2GB module, so you can probably expect to pay a similar premium Kingston's offering.

Permalink to story.

Yikes, it makes me wonder who has all of this money to spend on RAM? I would rather pay the $75 I spent on my 6GB of RAM than $600!

Damn agreed, such memory barely boosts performance and in some cases come on-par with some very ordinary memories..
It's a complete waste of money to buy it...

Can't imagine these would make any sort of significant difference on gaming/app speeds over "average" RAM.

wagan8r said:
Yikes, it makes me wonder who has all of this money to spend on RAM? I would rather pay the $75 I spent on my 6GB of RAM than $600!
well, rich people. Wealthy hobbists, that kind of thing. I'd love to have tons of money to blow on a 6 core i7, solid state drives, and crazy memory. But alas :(

TomSEA said:
Can't imagine these would make any sort of significant difference on gaming/app speeds over "average" RAM.

Tom, is the memory controller on the i7's able to handle ram this fast? Why do they say it supports 1066Mhz DDR3 when people have been running 2Ghz+. Ive been wondering about this

It's not just that this RAM costs so much. But the only way to get the full potential out of it is to drop a grand on a processor another grand on a SSD and several more hundreds on a motherboard at least. Gamers drop several more hundreds or a thousand dollars on a video card and PSU and then you've forked out enough money to buy a car!

it is very expensive! but performance comes for a price!
its for those who own luxury systems ( refer techspot's pc buying guide )!
common man would build a whole system instead of buying 6 gigs of this ram!

It will be expensive, still not afordable for "normal" peolpe like me and you guys. I will stick to something cheaper, not fast as that.

for now yes, 2 years from now though the price will drop, hopefully, then it might be more feasible for regular joes to buy this. if i had the money to blow you can bet your *?! i'd build the mother of all computers and have 8 gigs of this in it.

Jose Vilches said:
They are also baking them with a lifetime warranty and free 24/7 technical support.

Dang, I wish the warranty for my hardware was baked into it.. I'd have some tasty warranties :p

I wonder if Corsair will attempt to out-do Kingston now that they have stolen Corsair's crown. I personally have always used Corsair, so I like to see my brand of choice come out on top :)

Where's the AMD love? I have the exact same board, but the AMD variation. I've got 4 gigs of mediocre ram in it and I would love to upgrade to some better ram. Maybe not this expensive, but something a bit better.

TomSEA said:

Not much, but to some people 2-3% more performance makes them want it :) I guess we all have them to thank for encouraging pc manufactures to push out higher and higher end products. Eventually the price will drop for us mere mortals to be able to afford.

This is nice and all, but a lot of people don't realise to get this speed your going to have to overclock your CPU like crazy, and your FSB. For example I have G.Skill 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 2000 MHz, in order for the RAM to run at 2 GHz, I need to run my CPU at 4 GHz, which is pretty darn high. Not to mention your need some pretty good case cooling to exhaust all the hot air from these modules, even with the big heatsinks.

Overkill.

These modules aren't meant to be fast sellers, and you'd have to hunt them down. My guess is newegg probably has a few, but they're probably released for Kingston's ego purposes.

"Hey guys, I've got FASTER RAM released than you Corsair/Gskill/Munchkin/etc punks. HAHA!"

hello ...

i knew it would be 'that' expensive to build another PC, i think i'll just wait for MAC, while i pray to win the techspot contest so can sleep on both ears LOL.

seirously, i doubt we need it right now, or maybe when Crysis 2 will be out. Oh no then there will be another new superfaster that superfast expensive memory module.

cheers!

This one is perfect for our very slow computer... Hope it goes cheaper soon like flash disks offered by Kingston.. lol...

lol this level of performance is always aimed at the rich ppl that want to brag about their cpu... =) but admit... deep down you wish you could buy this even if you woulndt be able to use it to it full potentiel

I dont see anything special about this ram, the timeings and the speed... u can get that with cheaper ram, and just tweak the bios and setting to get thoes settings, and i'v seen better heatsinks... for better cooling... (main point, Too expensive)

There is a very fine line between RAM now-a-days. These would only be appreciated by those building new computers with a hefty budget. Otherwise, a 2gig alternate for less than 100 dollars would do just fine.

Those things are twice as fast as my RAM!
Those coolers look AWESOME on that RAM, I want that so bad it'll be just slightly hard to go to a store and say "I want to buy a KHX2400C9D3T1K2/4GX kit", probably get very odd looks...

Unless you can get you motherboard Bclk to 300 I doubt it's even usable at that speed without losing sync ratio of 2/1 with the uncore frequency.

Memory inflation once again. I remember paying $180 for my first ddr2 kits, ( 2gb) and then a few months later buying 4gb for $65! ... never again?

If I put a window in my tower do you think anyone would notice the " recognizable blue T1 HyperX heatsinks " were only attached to 'valueram' I mean at that pricepoint I won't be switching anything on for you unless you're 'the Queen of Sheba' :) Seriously though I bought / spent AUS$128 on Kingston RAM for my old P4 for the featured " lifetime warranty ".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back