Kingston intros 12GB HyperX RAM kit for X58-based systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Kingston has introduced a new HyperX memory kit for Intel's LGA1366 Core i7 platform. The kit consists of six 2GB modules that run at 1600MHz and 1.65 with a timing of 9-9-9-27. The modules support Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP), which should make things easy on you when it comes time to tweak some settings. Having been designed for use with Intel's Core i7 9xx processors, Kingston's new RAM offering is mostly aimed at system builders and "heavy-users".

Kingston says enthusiasts who deploy 12GB of Kingston HyperX triple-channel memory will find performance increases in such tasks as video encoding, processing large photo files, graphical rendering, and demanding PC games, as well as overall system performance when using a 64-bit OS -- though, I gather that most wouldn't notice a dramatic real-world difference with typical use.

Kingston's new 12GB HyperX RAM kit will launch with an MSRP of £262.33 (about $440), and will ship with a lifetime warranty as well as free 24/7 technical support.

Permalink to story.

Very nice specs on that RAM. And for that amount and high-end type of RAM, the price is fairly reasonable too. The only problem is I don't know of many - make that any - MOBO's that have six slots for RAM. Why didn't they make it 3 sticks at 4GB each?

The majority of X58 i7 boards have 6 slots. Spec-wise, I don't see anything special about these at all. PC-12800 with loose timings, the only thing 'new' about these is that they come 6 to a pack instead of having to buy 2 packs of 3.

I wonder how long that lifetime warranty will really last, seems like something's not quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back