KN8 north bridge fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could describe the sound. Since we can't hear it, "loud" doesn't do much.

Well, i fixed the sound problem, i still dont know what caused it, but i took the cover off the fan. however, in the process i took out the little white things holding it on. So i used yellow duct tape. I havent used it yet, so please tell me if that is bad or not. I used 2 pieces( one for each side) that are about .7cm wide and 5 cm long.

two little pins right? well if you broke them you're not going to want to turn it on in an upright position, the tape will get hot and fall off and your heatsink will follow the tape to the back of the video card maybe, and cooked would be your northbridge. find an old gfx card they've always got some little pin thingies in them.

you're best off buying a cheapo heatsink for old video cards or northbridges as it should come with pins. where do you live i could send you some. i've got like easy 100 of them

Its definatly not wise to use just duct tape. You need pins to hold the headsink on. Also you should put some new thermal paste on before putting the heatsink back on properly.

really? Because at the moment, ( and i cant exactly tell which is monitoring my north bridge) but none of the sensors are measuring above 42C

im using speedfan, this is what its telling me:
Temp1: 30C
Temp2: 20C
Temp3: 27C
HD1: 25C
Temp1: 24C
Core: 42C

If you have ever used speedfan, it would help if i knew what the blue arrows, red arrows, and green check marks mean next to each gauge.

it seems like its doing as much as it would have with the pins in place, although it has to stay on its side, so the tape doesnt accidentaly fall off.

ill get some pins, the tape is just a quick fix so i can still use it. I just wish i could tell if the north bridge was about to die. Im guessing the north bridge isnt replaceable.

No the northbridge isnt real replacible. And there isnt another way of checking the temp, but the heatsink is begin heated then at least its taking heat away. The only thing you can do it get some pins ASAP.

it connects the processor to the ram and the Video card, it also talks to the southbridge which controls everything else to an extent. Northbridge = must have

imacrazyballoon said:
why cant they just make that part of the processor and not have to put an extra fan/heatsink in there

AMD did put the southbridge on the Athalon 64s but most motherboards for that CPU hava a southbridge on the motherboard anyway (yours doesn't it has only a northbridge on the board) The north bridge will likely be integrated eventually but heat issues are the main reason that keep it from being built on the CPU for now once betther cooling or cooler chips are developed I see no reason It couldn't be built into the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back