LA police seizes more than $10 million in fake iPods, iPhones, PSPs

Emil

Staff

The Los Angeles Port Police has broken up an illegal operation selling counterfeit iPhones, iPods, PSPs, and other gadgets. The $10 million operation included seized products worth an estimated street value of more than $1.4 million, stolen electronics, toys, and blankets worth about $2.5 million, and bank account receipts showing that the operation had generated more than $7 million in profits until it was shut down.

"This was a well-funded operation, and the counterfeits looked very authentic," Ron Boyd, chief of the LA police force, told the Los Angeles Times. "Our layered, multi-agency approach to security and theft investigations led to success. We're proud of the teamwork that happens on a continuous basis to thwart consumer fraud, keep our port safe and enable our agencies to pursue cases to fruition and criminal prosecution."

The case began with stolen cargo that led officials to several downtown Los Angeles and Vernon locations in December 2010 and January 2011. Brothers (name removed), 40, and (name removed), 45, have been arrested in LA. (name removed) has been charged with three felony counts of the sale of counterfeit goods while (name removed) has been charged with one felony count of the same crime.

A buyer might not have noticed anything wrong with the products until he or she got home and tried to hook it up with his or her computer. The goods were shipped from Asia as parts meant to be reassembled and labeled before being sold. In addition to LA officials, the investigation also involved the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement office, the Border Enforcement Security Task Force, the California Highway Patrol's Cargo Theft Interdiction Program, and the Vernon Police Department.

Permalink to story.

"The goods were shipped from Asia..."

Most likely China. No one is ever going to take them seriously as long as they're in the counterfeit mass-production business.

Well those iPods look pretty authentic, but those PSPs look super fake. I still can't believe people fall for this crap all the time, just because they either don't research these things, or are suckers for what they think are "good deals".

TomSEA said:

Most likely China. No one is ever going to take them seriously as long as they're in the counterfeit mass-production business.

People already take Chine seriously because they're just very hard to ignore.

China is the business capital of the world.

China is a puppet. They provide slave labor to the world and only a few get rich and a small minority make it to a shaky middle class.China has been in this position in history before..they always get screwed by more powerful countries multi-national banks.

TomSEA said:

Err.. Ever wondered where your authentic iPod is made in?

seized products worth an estimated street value of more than $1.4 million....operation had generated more than $7 million in profits....Our...investigations led to success
Seize $1.4m, unable to seize $7m. Looks like the L.A.Police have a liberal interpretation of what "success" entails. At least the confiscation of a few counterfeit iWhatevers should translate into lower numbers of counterfeit hipsters in the wild.

lol for anyone who buys an ipod off a random guy on the street.
Ebay has buyer protection and i'm still weary...

if you look closely, all the boxes say "MP4" player on them. Were they repackaging them as apple ipods or something?

Seize $1.4m, unable to seize $7m. Looks like the L.A.Police have a liberal interpretation of what "success" entails. At least the confiscation of a few counterfeit iWhatevers should translate into lower numbers of counterfeit hipsters in the wild.

Right! I think the ipods were real....the police were fake.

lol for anyone who buys an ipod off a random guy on the street.
Ebay has buyer protection and i'm still weary...
Oh, they make it so hard to turn down, by tempting you with a free "genuine Rolex" that gets thrown in with every fake iPhone.
At least the confiscation of a few counterfeit iWhatevers should translate into lower numbers of counterfeit hipsters in the wild.
Are you suggesting that there's another kind of hipster?

You may however, have accidentally come up with a great new age insult! "He's as plastic as his iPhone". (real or otherwise). Works for me.

I figure the real iPons leave via the front door, and the counterfeit iPons leave via the back door of the same Chinese factory. OK, I have a slight weakness for conspiracy theories.

Hold everything, I just made a huge breakthrough in regards to a possible new Apple product! It's like this, an "iPon", would be better for a woman on the go than an "iPad", would it not? Marketing genius, if I do say so myself.

"But officer, we're not selling these! These are all just for... ad agency photo sessions! Yeah, that's it. They're just models!"

Back