Lamborghini is bringing back the Countach as a limited-edition hybrid, and it's brilliant

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Automakers have a notoriously bad reputation when it comes to modernizing classics; only a handful come to mind that have successfully mastered the endeavor. I'd argue that Lamborghini got this one right, although I can't help but wonder what it'd look like with a big wing out back. Y'know, just for old time' sake.

Lamborghini’s iconic Countach is an absolute 80s legend, and it’s coming back for a limited time with an all-new design and a hybrid powerplant.

Lamborghini introduced the Countach in the late 1970s but it wasn’t until a future revision, which introduced fiberglass wheel arch extensions, massive rear tires and an optional rear wing, that the Countach really hit its stride.

It was featured in multiple movies including the 1981 action comedy The Cannonball Run and 1989’s Speed Zone (who can forget the opening scene where it skipped over a lake?), and was unequivocally the poster car of the 80s.

Lamborghini in celebration of the Countach’s 50th anniversary is revising the model for a limited run. The new Countach LPI 800-4 pays homage to the original in terms of both styling and performance. It’s powered by a V12 engine alongside a 48V electric motor that combine to put out just a tick over 800 horsepower through a permanent four-wheel drive transmission.

According to Lamborghini, the new Countach will be able to reach 100 km/h from a stop (0-62 mph) in just 2.8 seconds and hit a top speed of 220 mph. And those infamous scissor doors? Yeah, you get those as well.

Lamborghini is only producing 112 examples and pricing hasn’t yet been revealed, pretty much solidifying that you’re likely never going to see one in person, much less own one.

Permalink to story.

I really do not get the obsession with speed. Yes, I am a man, but when it seems to come down to a "mine is bigger than yours" thing, I honestly do not think that this really represents progress for men, or humanity, for that matter.

As far as it being a hybrid, I think this car does nothing to add to the conversion to EVs and away from fossil fuels. To me, it is still going to guzzle gas, but the electric motor probably gives it a significant kick.

It's a Sian in a new suit. Lamborghini are masters of tarting up production models into limited editions and selling them for big money to boost the coffers. The Sian itself is really an Aventador SVJ with the latest hybrid engine development and a new tailored costume.

As a result of this predictable Lamborghini 'special edition' policy this is also the size of a Aventador- massive compared to the legendary Countach. A car that many consider to be one of those heroes you shouldn't actually meet because it's quite bad to drive really. Styling wise of course, it's astounding.

A really good Countach anniversary would be squeezing the V12 into a smaller shorter wheel base car like the Huracan, that would be a special feat and worth the name. Lamborghini have nearly trebled their production (and sold it all) in the past 4 years alone, so they want the easy cash. I get it.

Can we get Miami Vice 2.0 with Sonny Crockett reborn chasing narcos in Miami, Fl, onboard a brand new Countach?

Ferrari Testarossa, not quite a Countach, but close.

Lamborghini Countach reborn = Miami Vice nostalgia

Lamborghini’s iconic Countach is an absolute 80s legend
Yeah, but in a very bad way though...

Countach is the epitome of "never meet your hero". It made every poster in every boy's bedroom back in the days, while in reality it was the worst car that Lamborghini ever made. For example, you can't see a damn thing from side or rear windows, it is impossible to park on a sidewalk, and awfully awkward getting in or out. Usability and practicality of this car was on another level of horrible.

Last edited:
They forgot the big *** spoiler on the back. It honestly doesn't look to much like the countach, more like a mercillago or a Aventador with a redesigned front end.

It looks very much like the original Countach (LP400 model). Hint: that car farther in the background on the first picture is an original Countach, just for reference. The wing wasn't available until later. Pretty sure some of the later LP400 models had the wing as an option, and then it became kind of the standard for the Countach from there on. You never really saw any later models without the iconic wing, even though it was technically an optional accessory.

Countach is an epitome of "never meet your hero". It made every poster in every boy's bedroom back in the years, while in reality it was the worst car that Lamborghini ever made. For example, you can't see a damn thing from the side windows, and it is impossible to park on a sidewalk. Usability and practicality of this car was on another level of horrible.

Driving it in traffic, and generally just getting in and out of the damn thing with that massive sill under the scissor doors was also... less than ideal...

But holy crap did it have some acceleration kick. That V12 sitting right over the rear drive wheels pretty much just smashed the rubber into the road. I don't know how it didn't constantly wheelie under hard acceleration.

Preface this by saying I don't care about cars - that's why I have a toyota corolla - I've drive it into the ground .
Just looking at the top photos - It justs looks like a concept car - that someone who has learnt to use the modeling software .
So the bottom car has a black triangle to balance it - but the all white one about - looks fugly and out of balance

I really do not get the obsession with speed. Yes, I am a man, but when it seems to come down to a "mine is bigger than yours" thing, I honestly do not think that this really represents progress for men, or humanity, for that matter.

As far as it being a hybrid, I think this car does nothing to add to the conversion to EVs and away from fossil fuels. To me, it is still going to guzzle gas, but the electric motor probably gives it a significant kick.

Personally I think it's more impressive when I see someone driving a Prius. That person has risen above petty things like having a car that actually looks nice or driving a status symbol on evenings and weekends they don't need. The solution to climate change sure isn't people driving cars like this.

Being a lamborghini and only producing 112, I hardly think it was ever meant to add to EV conversion. Just saying.

They forgot the big *** spoiler on the back. It honestly doesn't look to much like the countach, more like a mercillago or a Aventador with a redesigned front end.
The spoiler was an option and not made standard but it did make it look effing amazing.
Personally I think it's more impressive when I see someone driving a Prius. That person has risen above petty things like having a car that actually looks nice or driving a status symbol on evenings and weekends they don't need. The solution to climate change sure isn't people driving cars like this.
I daily drive a Honda CRV hybrid because it makes sense but I am very much a car guy. Sports cars, muscle cars, etc. are all feats of engineering. At the time, mechanical engineering was the epitome of what the average human could own and experience through something such as an automobile. These days, electric cars that go fast are cool as f*** and I say that as someone who has driven 1000hp+ cars and ridden in McClarens and Ferraris. Once you get past the engineering of what these vehicles can do you start looking at all the other things they have to offer. Some people call them "luxury" but I look more at them as craftsmanship. The machinists making custom volume dials mixed with the leather working and tailoring of the materials in the dash and seats.

This post will probably get deleted but I'm going to try to say two things at the same time. The same people who want everyone to drive a prius because "Muh-Envyromint" are just as stupid as the truck guys parking in front of the EV charging stations in protest of environmentalists. They're both retards, let people enjoy what they're passionate about for the reasons they're passionate.

Again, I daily a CRV hybrid but love to show people pictures of my 98 f-250 with a 6.8L v10.

People need to shut up already.

The spoiler was an option and not made standard but it did make it look effing amazing.
I daily drive a Honda CRV hybrid because it makes sense but I am very much a car guy. Sports cars, muscle cars, etc. are all feats of engineering. At the time, mechanical engineering was the epitome of what the average human could own and experience through something such as an automobile. These days, electric cars that go fast are cool as f*** and I say that as someone who has driven 1000hp+ cars and ridden in McClarens and Ferraris. Once you get past the engineering of what these vehicles can do you start looking at all the other things they have to offer. Some people call them "luxury" but I look more at them as craftsmanship. The machinists making custom volume dials mixed with the leather working and tailoring of the materials in the dash and seats.

This post will probably get deleted but I'm going to try to say two things at the same time. The same people who want everyone to drive a prius because "Muh-Envyromint" are just as stupid as the truck guys parking in front of the EV charging stations in protest of environmentalists. They're both retards, let people enjoy what they're passionate about for the reasons they're passionate.

Again, I daily a CRV hybrid but love to show people pictures of my 98 f-250 with a 6.8L v10.

People need to shut up already.

I completely agree with the appreciation of engineering in all regards as well with the idea of being passionate about something. Otherwise what is the point in anything really, we aren't robot after all.... probably.

Personally I'd rather do what I can to lower my carbon footprint and have a good laugh in 20 years when it turns out it was completely unnecessary than the opposite.

I completely agree with the appreciation of engineering in all regards as well with the idea of being passionate about something. Otherwise what is the point in anything really, we aren't robot after all.... probably.

Personally I'd rather do what I can to lower my carbon footprint and have a good laugh in 20 years when it turns out it was completely unnecessary than the opposite.
If there is no point to anything then what is the point of wasting energy on judging people around you for being different?

The idea that we as individuals have any direct impact on global emissions is absurd. Driving a Hellcat is negligible compared to what Amazon emits providing us with convinces. The idea that consumer emissions from internal combustion engines is a lie. As fossil fuel consumption decressses as a fuel, fossil fuel use increases in other area's. More things are made from plastic, plastic packaging has become ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Clearly this is the wrong site for posting super-cars... so many sissy and negative reactions.

As a car lover, I really like the new Countach, looks great. Nothing more to add.

It's like , I have driven some great and fast cars , now I have a motorbike with a lot of horses and a high level of fun an playfullness in it. Its the adrenaline you get for nailing a perfect corner and feeling alive whilest the horsepower is trying to kill you sort of :p .... so it is the power that drives the mind of people with adrenaline and that one my friend is an addiction. And some people have the feeling of having a lot and expensive material.

btw : the part about the small d*ck .... mine is really small yeah :p

Spolier alert! The earliest Countachs didn't have that spoiler ;-)

I loved supercars as a kid, but generally when you get old enough to afford one you just end up looking like a complete tw@t. TBH you couldn't drive them around anywhere locally without scraping hedges etc. or being keyed.

I've never seen or heard the "truck guys", but the ecotards are bleating and ubiquitous. Their judgemental pronouncements must make them feel really satisfied, because they inject them into any conversation no matter how unrelated. Ugh.

I've never seen or heard the "truck guys", but the ecotards are bleating and ubiquitous. Their judgemental pronouncements must make them feel really satisfied, because they inject them into any conversation no matter how unrelated. Ugh.
Sounds like you are being very judgmental, honestly. You should work on that, but at least calling a group of people ecotards isn't being personal or flaming. Good thing, huh?

Why does a Lambo hybrid hurt your feelings so badly? I can see many good sides to it. Many that don't even apply to other hybrids.

Last edited:
Clearly this is the wrong site for posting super-cars... so many sissy and negative reactions.

As a car lover, I really like the new Countach, looks great. Nothing more to add.

Or it's the right one because people are not poor taste tuning heads that cheer everything.
Yup, as a massive Lamborghini and Countach fan for 3 decades, this is a great looking Lamborghini as always, but very little of a Countach. A really harsh disappointment on Mitja.

Back