LAN/Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Well i have recently brought a Ethernet cable to hopefully use to LAN 2 computers together. Well i have 1 Ethernet cable going from my good computer to the cable modem and im wondering if it would be possible to switch cables so i could use 1 for internet and the other to hook up to a LAN with my 2nd computer.

So yeh im just wondering if its possible or would i have to buy a hub for it to work. If so could someone maybe help me change the internet/LAN settings to be able to run of both settings (Cable and LAN)

thanks alot

To connect 2 pc's together you can use a twisted or crossed cable (both mean the same thing) but not a "straight" cable.
Do you wish both pc's to be able to access the internet?

Well atm all i really want is to unplug the Modem cable, meaning no internet for my good computer then to plug the Ethernet cable from my old computer into the good one soi can play like a LAN game.. do i requie a hub for that? or can i simply switch ethernet cables and change a setting?

oh yeah and also my freind made it set up to be able to connect to MSHOME so i could access both computers and change files but the only problem is when i connected the modem back to the new comoputer the internet didnt work and also i could only access files not play LAN games

As i said a twisted cable will allow 2 pc's to connect and is much cheaper than a hub , router, or switch. But it is more hassle to get working tho.

buy a router, use 2 twisted cables (as rick) said connect the modem to the router, and then the other two compumters u now have both comps where they can connect to the internet and eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back