lan green light started blinking and no worky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse my ignorance on this. My lan has been working ok for a month or so but suddenly the green light went from mostly always on to blinking on and then quickly off about every 2 or 3 seconds. Ocasionally the screen says the lan is connected for a second. My pc says that the hardware is working ok. I took my pc (laptop) to another pc that works ok to test the connection but I get the same symptoms. So the cable is ok, the hardware says it's ok, it just doesn't work. Any advice? TIA Jim

1. Lan lights blink. They do this to indicate the transfer of data. Its blinking more slowly because less data is going through at that particular time.
2. We are not 5, your title "and no worky" might imply you were talking to a baby and could very well explain why no one has replied to this post; they think your an ******* (and i tend to agree).
3. As for your problem, i dont understand what you mean by "I took my pc (laptop) to another pc that works ok" and you haven't given even close to enough info. Do you have a switch or router? is your network wireless? how many other PC's do you have? did you install a firewall recently? Its like trying to fix a car and all you know is that the car is blue.

What you need to do is determine what is malfunctioning first. You would do this by changing out computer/cables/etc. to find out which isn't working. For example, take a cable off of a computer that is able to connect - that cable is good - try to use it with your laptop. If that doesn't work try to connect another computer to what your laptop is usually connected to, if it works your laptop is most likely the problem. Come back after u have some info, and use the spell check and try to catch mistakes like "worky".

I did not use spell check then or now and did not realize that would be offensive to anyone, especially to someone of your esteemed status. But really, thanks for the critism - it has helped me a lot.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

I thought that wireless meant no cable plugged in to turn on a green light, but no, it is not a wireless connection.
Actually, there are wireless adapters that use a short cable to plug into the LAN port. Newegg calls them Ethernet Port Wireless Adapters. I have a couple made by D-Link.

Just because the Device Manager says the device is working okay, it still might not be. You might try either uninstalling the LAN controller in the Device Manager, reboot and let Windows reinstall it or try installing newer drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website (if any are available). If neither of those work, your onboard LAN controller might have died. If so, one solution would be to install a PCI LAN controller card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back