LAN Issues

My roommate and I use our LAN to network games. It took us a while to set up, but we haven't had any problems for about a year. Today, however, I turned off the wireless to my Mac, and when I turned it back on, our LAN network would no longer work. I think what happened is that the dynamic IP reset to slot 4 (xxx.xxx.2.4). I tried resetting our port-forwarding to slot 4, with no luck. I also tried giving the Mac a static IP (back to slot 2 like it used to be), but the router is still registering it as connecting via slot 4 with a dynamic address, even after restarting the computer. Now I've managed to get it to the point where we can connect manually by entering a port number every time, but I'm hoping I can set my IP back to slot 2 (xxx.xxx.2.2) so it will do this manually. Does anyone know whats going on?

Ok, sooo many variables in your question... Answer these questions and I think we can help you further:

What is the make/model of your router?
What is the router's ip addres?? ex: 192.168.1.1
How many computers are connecting to this LAN?
Are the computers all Macs or are some PCs?? What versions of windows or OS X are each running?
Are the computers connecting via wire or wireless?
Is the router configured for DHCP (dynamic)?
Have you already configured ports to be forwarded to certain ip addresses? If so, what ports to what addresses?
You keep referring to "slots", I'm guessing you mean the port of the router, is this correct?
What games are you playing? ex: battelfield, minecraft, etc.

Answer these questions thoroughly and I think we can help you out. Have a good day!!

Back