Laptop error 0x0000004E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xclusiveitalian

I have a HP Pavillion dv6604nr entertainment notebook pc. I recently upgraded it to 4 gb, as well as having restored it previosuly due to extreme slow downs(possibly a virus but unknown) It runs perfect now, as it did before the unknown slow downs and restore. I did a distrcutive restore so as to start new. My problem comes with an error which causes (at random and all of a sudden) my screen to go black and my computer to restart. As my computer is restarting in the start-up screen it states Windows failed to shut down properely. Upon the computer starting up I see an error message and I took pictures of them below. Im running Windows vista home premium. Windows cannot find a way to cure this problem, any ideas?

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5149/errormessage.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8569/error22.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7400/errorrr333.jpg

Your error 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is a very strong indicator of memory issues, particularly corrupted memory. If you run it with 2 gigs do you still get BSODs?

Also, your symptoms remind us of behavior due to infection. I strongly suggest going to the Virus and Malware removal board here at TechSpot and read the 8 Steps sticky. If you decide you want to follow their advice then post the required logs there and someone should reaad them for you.

Hi Xclusiveitalian,

Try running your OS with maybe 2GB of RAM and see if you experience the same things, you can get more info here: supportdotmicrosoftdotcom/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291806

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Its so strange because the problems will occur alot one day but since then never, but will occur again sometime and it just puzzles me. My problem ran with 4 gb really great though and never had a problem, yet once i had to restore it all these new things i never had before were occuring. Btw this error occurs when i use an action, such as pressing a keyboard key and clicking. My gf was repeatly clicking my mouser and it happened. a long time ago this blue screen error was actually a blue screen but i haven't seen it since then. I really only use my computer for regular things like aol, photoshop, saving photos, my music, etc.

Hi Xclusiveitalian,

Try this: run your computer in safe mode and see if you’re seeing any of the same problems. Let me know what happens.

Here are steps to do that: windowshelpdotmicrosoftdotcom/Windows/en-us/help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033dotmspx

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Thanks for the reply I was wondering is [windowshelpdotmicrosoftdotcom/Windows/en-us/help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033dotmspx] a link becuase it doesnt work for me

Hi Xclusiveitalian,

For some reason it wouldn’t let me enter the link, so when you see “dot” in the URL, those are actually supposed to be periods (dots). Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Hi Bobbye,

We are a Microsoft-endorsed part of the Windows Team (although we aren’t on the tech developer side of things) which helps people with questions or concerns about Windows .We’re not here to push a product on anyone (as you can see from my interactions here).

If you think I’m being too salesy, or that one of my colleagues is, just say so – I’m sure they (or I) will be more than happy to change what they’re saying.

If you have any other questions, feel free to direct message me.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Yes please provide link to your exact "Windows Outreach Team" website
As a "Microsoft-endorsed part of the Windows Team" I'm sure this should be a public web site.

Oh and I checked your IP across the Net, not all sites that you visit are so called "Safe Sites" I would be highly interested in confirming your credentials before further posts made by you, continually announcing you are some type of MS support, can be misleading.

As per MS Support please answer my questions directly before any further posting
I also see that you have signed up with different Member names, please also explain this.

If you have any other questions, feel free to direct message me.
1. Provide link to MS Outreach Team
2. Credentials confirming who you are
3. Why 4 Member names
4 Please answer the questions

I'll continue to monitor your postings and viewings at TechSpot, until the above is answered
Note: I may have further questions upon your reply

hey everybody, iv been alil busy with school, mid-term after mid-term, after test, etc lol anyway, im kinda lost with who to follow with this, im assuming i shouldnt listen to the ms guy in question for now. On a side note i noticed the problem occures most when I turn my laptop on, it starts up then at some point as it is starting up the screen goes a deeper black then the laptop turns off, and restarts itself, it then says my laptop didnt shut down properly. Im really starting to not like HP, but im not sure if its HP or perhaps vista i should be upset at because Vista has alot of problems compared to me XP computer.

im kinda lost with who to follow with this, im assuming i shouldnt listen to the ms guy in question for now.
Sorry, but this person and the other three people in his group have NO association with Microsoft. He is misrepresenting himself.

Please see the Steps in the Virus and Malware Removal: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Route 44 has already indicated you have signs of malware. When you have finished running the programs, lease attach all three logs here for review.

Private Message to Bobbye

Hi Bobbye/kimsland,

I tried to contact you via the private message function, as you wrote me, but it will not let me respond. I have contact information for you that verifies my team's legitimacy with Microsoft, but can not post that contact information in the open forums.

Is there any way around this? I wish to clear this up as soon as possible. Thanks.

No there is not. Both of us have already looked for the information and are satisfied with what was found. The four of you appear to have invented yourselves in Oct. 2008, calling yourselves the "Windows Team" on an MSDN Blog. Neither of us- or anyone else in the many other forums who asked about the group found ANY indication of your being "Microsoft" anything, nor is any more information available on your 'team' other than hedging the questions!

You are certainly welcome to reply to members who ask questions. So far as I've seen, replies have been polite and SOME links helpful. However, representing yourselves as a "Microsoft Endorsed Outreach Team" implies something that you are not. There is a name for that.

Hi Bobbye,

I just tried to send you a private message, but was hit with this:

“To be able to send PMs your post count must be 45 or greater.

You currently have 6 posts and you can send PMs to following users only: (and then there were no names listed).”

I’m just trying to clear things up with you guys and you can understand the hesitation to post sensitive information on the forums.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

No there is not. Both of us have already looked for the information and are satisfied with what was found. The four of you appear to have invented yourselves in Oct. 2008, calling yourselves the "Windows Team" on an MSDN Blog. Neither of us- or anyone else in the many other forums who asked about the group found ANY indication of your being "Microsoft" anything, nor is any more information available on your 'team' other than hedging the questions!

You are certainly welcome to reply to members who ask questions. So far as I've seen, replies have been polite and SOME links helpful. However, representing yourselves as a "Microsoft Endorsed Outreach Team" implies something that you are not. There is a name for that.

Bobbye, I understand that you feel you've both done your due-diligence and most likely used a Google search to find information about our group. As one last parting bit, here's a link to my Live QnA profile, on which you'll note that I am an approved answers partner (a distinction which is invite-only): http://qna.live.com/ShowUser.aspx?uid=341351EF0EB74C5F85A52C0CF58130FC&p=1

You can learn more about the Answer Partner program here: http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=qnav1&market=en-US&querytype=keyword&query=segdab&tmt=&domain=qna.live.com

I'm sorry that you don't see eye to eye with us on this and have refused to allow for direct contact which would allow me to provide materials identifying myself as a Microsoft-endorsed party.

Thank you for at least being open and good luck in the future.

Srry for taking long to reply, had problems logging in lol i did everything reguarding the virus removal/malware removal and it seems my computer is fine, which makes me more boggled. Do you think it has something to do wit my battery, becuase before i did a destructive restore my battery was poor (yellow) now it is fine (green). Also i have 2 txt files you requested to see, i can put them here but i wanted to ask you is it ok to post on an open forum becuase i was unsure if this collected any personal data someone could get? Like cd keys etc?

No it's quite alright to Attach them. :)
Anyway, I'll soon let you know.
Mind you, just open them yourself first, if they have any personal info (or Windows keys etc) then just * (asterisk) them out

Edit

Not sure what's happened to: "RonS WIN TEAM" all I did was PM him with all the factual info I found on the web, I may have scared him off with all this known knowledge :D

Hi kimsland,

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been pretty swamped this week. Unfortunately, the info you sent has nothing to do with my team (or Lindsey for that matter – but, it was a thorough job for whoever you dug that info up on).

Like I said, if you can give me a way to contact you directly I’m still more than happy to send you our materials (which include Microsoft e-mails) but I can’t do that in a public forum, which I’m sure you can understand.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Sorry I'll reply in about 5mins (maybe 10 ;))

Thanks,

By the way not satisfied yet, but that's why it's taking me 10mins, you'll see my new Microsoft email come up ;) ;)

I attached those files requested, if its not a virus or malware etc, maybe its hardware? maybe hardware damaged of some type, maybe even from a virus?

I have successfully created a Microsoft email account
And emailed RonS WIN TEAM with my details

Obviously just having Microsoft.com in your email, does not automatically prove that you are a Microsoft employee. ! I am now waiting on his return email...

@Xclusiveitalian presently I do not have the time to check your logs
I am hoping Bobbye may check this for you, sorry for the interruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back