Laptop has power to motherboard but won't turn on

I am currently working on an Acer Aspire E1-510P-2671 that will not power on. The computer was working fully until the owner's child tripped over the charging cord and ripped it out of the charging port. The owned used it until it died as it wouldn't charge after the child tripped over it. The charging cord is supplying power, the charging port is supplying power to the motherboard, the mother board is receiving the power, the back up watch battery (pardon my improper terminology) has power, everything is plugged in, I've tried turning it on with the battery in, with the battery out and nothing is turning on. No signs of life inside the computer and the lights on the edge of the laptop won't turn on (where it says if its on, if its charging, if its fully charged, etc). What can I check and how can I bring it back to life? Many thanks

Did you confirm operation of charger with multimeter?

I'm confused..you say you have power at motherboard - how do you know as there are no indicators going on?

If you have one, try a known good charger. If that won't charge battery and power laptop, check the female power port for bent metal or broken solder.

I have had 2 chargers over last 15-20 years with one of the wires inside pulled away from connection - not a visible problem.

Charger available at https://www.amazon.com/E1-510P-2671...keywords=charger+for+Acer+Aspire+E1-510P-2671

Did you confirm operation of charger with multimeter?

I'm confused..you say you have power at motherboard - how do you know as there are no indicators going on?

If you have one, try a known good charger. If that won't charge battery and power laptop, check the female power port for bent metal or broken solder.

I have had 2 chargers over last 15-20 years with one of the wires inside pulled away from connection - not a visible problem.

Charger available at https://www.amazon.com/E1-510P-2671...keywords=charger+for+Acer+Aspire+E1-510P-2671
Multimeter. I've used one to check the voltage output in various locations. Everything comes up with several volts. Is it possible it's not getting ENOUGH voltage or amperage? The charger has a light on it that shows power and when I use the multimeter on the end of the prongs on the charging port (where it connects to the motherboard), I'm getting a voltage reading. The first thing the owner did is replace the charger. It was brand new from the packaging when she gave it to me.

Check charger - should list output on label - should be about 19v.

Since brand new, it seems damage to previous charger may have been significant. If laptop was pulled onto the floor with a fall from counter height, there could be significant hidden damage.

Examine female power connection on laptop under strong light and magnification.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm

Check charger - should list output on label - should be about 19v.

Since brand new, it seems damage to previous charger may have been significant. If laptop was pulled onto the floor with a fall from counter height, there could be significant hidden damage.

Examine female power connection on laptop under strong light and magnification.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm
Has already been replaced. Once power cord has been plugged into the power jack, I used a multimeter on the pins connected to the motherboard and it reads proper voltage. Charger is indeed 19V.

SO, if you have power then follow the chain..how is the power connector on the laptop and specifically the solder connection to the motherboard? This will be going inside that case...recommend YouTube videos for instruction if you haven't done this 6 times already.

SO, if you have power then follow the chain..how is the power connector on the laptop and specifically the solder connection to the motherboard? This will be going inside that case...recommend YouTube videos for instruction if you haven't done this 6 times already.
Solder connection is fine. That's how I checked that power was going through. But it also reaches several other areas of the motherboard, specifically the pins where the battery is plugged into. Even the LEDs have voltage going through them but it still isn't charging.

You said in earlier post.."No signs of life inside the computer and the lights on the edge of the laptop won't turn on (where it says if its on, if its charging, if its fully charged, etc)." You just said..."Even the LEDs have voltage going through them but it still isn't charging."
I suppose this means that there is voltage in the LED circuit when you probe from LED to a known good ground, but there is no good connection (somewhere) to ground - otherwise the LEDs would light up.

Keep working down through the charger circuit. I believe it has to be 'broken' somewhere. Did you check voltage at the battery connection in the battery bay with the battery removed? It should be null if you are not charging the battery.

You said in earlier post.."No signs of life inside the computer and the lights on the edge of the laptop won't turn on (where it says if its on, if its charging, if its fully charged, etc)." You just said..."Even the LEDs have voltage going through them but it still isn't charging."
I suppose this means that there is voltage in the LED circuit when you probe from LED to a known good ground, but there is no good connection (somewhere) to ground - otherwise the LEDs would light up.

Keep working down through the charger circuit. I believe it has to be 'broken' somewhere. Did you check voltage at the battery connection in the battery bay with the battery removed? It should be null if you are not charging the battery.
When I check the pins of the LEDs, voltage is running through them, but they never light up. I did check the battery connection. I couldn't check the exact ports as they are surrounded by plastic and the leads are too large to hit the metal, but I checked it just before that and there was voltage. I've been trying to turn in on without the battery in it. Is it possible that this laptop runs in series and needs the battery in it to complete the circuit?

Back