Laptop HDD Questions

Hi everyone! I just have a couple quick questions and anyone who can give me some good, correct info, will have my undying thanks and if I can help with your issues, I will gladly offer my advice.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am not a novice when it comes to comps, so don't feel like you have to "dumb it down" for me; as long as the spelling is mostly correct, we're good. LOL

Secondly, I think I should explain the hardware/software that I am dealing with here. I own a first generation (2008) touchscreen HP Pavilion tx2635us Entertainment Notebook PC and I have been having issues with it since it was about 6 months old. It had probs with overheating, over-clocking, and eventually would randomly black out, no matter how long it was on for. According to HP's Support and Forums, the machine has a major design flaw, in which the heat sink does not have enough copper to safely transfer heat back and forth between the cpu and graphics card, which causes major damage to the motherboard. For about 4 years, a much longer life than most see, I babied this thing until about a month ago, it lined out completely. My boyfriend then took my main hard drive out and put it in his tower as another backup drive and so I can have all my files. Eventually, I do want to get a new motherboard so I can put all the good parts of it into a tower by itself.

Here are my questions:

Now that it is not a boot drive, can I move what I want to save onto another drive and then format all the Windows, HP, and drivers crap off of it so I can have all that space back?

And if I am able to do that, when I am able to build my tower with all the laptop parts, will I have to put all of the "boot drive" files back on it before or after I put it together?

And will I be able to use the same Windows 7 64 bit key or will I have to buy a whole 'nother one?

Actually, if I do format it, will I have to buy new keys for all of the programs that have a Software License or is there a way that I can use all the same credentials and get them back?

I think that's all of them, so again, thank you for at least reading this all the way to the bottom and thank you, thank you, thank you if you at least try to give me some helpful advice with these questions.

-ZeldaChick-

Wooooooow.... 7.5 hours with 43 views and not one reply? Forget this, I found the answers on my own, like usual, and I'm never coming back to this "technology" site, EVER!!!!

Hey ZeldaChick. This is my first time seeing your post ( I'm not on the board everyday). I can understand your frustration, as I figured at least a few would/could give their take on it. I see you found some answers on your own, but I will give my opinion if you don't mind.

Q: Now that it is not a boot drive, can I move what I want to save onto another drive and then format all the Windows, HP, and drivers crap off of it so I can have all that space back?
A: Yes, that's what I would do,and I would buy a USB enclosure and mount the drive in it,format it,and use if for portable storage.

Q: And if I am able to do that, when I am able to build my tower with all the laptop parts, will I have to put all of the "boot drive" files back on it before or after I put it together?

A: Laptop parts aren't interchangeable with the parts in a tower system. If you were able to get a good mobo at some point in the future but want use of the drive now, your option would be to see if there is a hidden recovery partition on a separate drive (my brother's hp laptop has a separate D: drive recovery partition),or order a replacement recovery disk for your model (much cheaper than a new Windows disk) which you could use when you replaced the mobo. The recovery partition on a second disk drive,if available, or a recovery disk from hp will restore the system back to it's original state when it was bought.

Q:
And will I be able to use the same Windows 7 64 bit key or will I have to buy a whole 'nother one?

A: If your system came with a Windows 7 disk that has hp written on it, that disk is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and can only be used in that pc. If it was a Win7 disk bought in a retail store, you should be able to transfer the license from an old to a new pc after calling Microsoft.

Q: Actually, if I do format it, will I have to buy new keys for all of the programs that have a Software License or is there a way that I can use all the same credentials and get them back?

If you have the keys and the software (weather on disk or you downloaded them), there should be no problem reinstalling them on a clean/new drive. If the programs were downloaded and you still have the downloaded files,copy them first off the drive or try downloading them again and saving them to disk.

I wouldn't be too hard on the folks here, as I'm sure many spend time answering questions and get involved, yet they never get any replies to their suggestions as to what worked/didn't work and that is frustrating. Good luck.

Back