Laptop keeps turning off please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have an acer aspire one the small type of laptop. Last night it was working fine and I fell asleep with of on my pillow. It fell on the carpet with the power cord still plugged in and fell on the top. Now this morning I tried to turn it on it ran for a few mins then turned off. I tried it again, got to where it starts after I log in then turned straight off. I have tried taking the battery out, re plugging the charger into a different outlet but nothing will keep it running. Can someone please help I don't know what's wrong with it considering it was working perfectly fine last night.?

First of all, you should be very careful with laptops, they run too hot...
I can't really ask how it fell, because you weren't watching, how does the DC jack (where the power cords plugs in) feel? Does the charge light come on when it's plugged in? Is the battery charged? If you made it to the log-in screen, I can only guess (and hope) that the battery isn't charging. Some laptops don't work without the battery plugged; I don't know if Acer is one of them...
Let us know what you can come up with.
Since you have just joined... welcome to Techspot! ;)

Thanks, the charger seems to be working because the charge light comes on. I tried taking the battery out and running it on just power, but that didn't seem to work either. When the log in screen comes up i type in my password and the wrting that says welcome sort of squiggles .Im using my ipod to write this.

Well, the only thing I can say is that something insdie may have come loose.
[A] the charger works
the HDD works (otherwise you wouldn't make it to the log-in screen)
I want to point to the display , is the graphics when starting up the same as always, or is it larger?

The text is normal and it seems that the charger was failing. But its got charge now and its working. Thanks for your help.

Are you saying that the charger didn't charge the battery and the computer is all good now?:suspiciou
If so, keep a close eye on the charging light. If it turns off for no reason, even if it's for a few seconds, let me know...:suspiciou

Yeah the charger wasn't charging the laptop. I don't know why it wasn't working. I will be sure to keep a close eye on the whole laptop just to make sure it isn't a virus.

If you have any suspicion of a virus attack (although it doesn't apply to the problem you were having, run through this,
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
My biggest concern is if it fell and hit the area where your DC jack is, I just hope it isn't loose.
It's very important that you watch closely. Most laptops (unless settings are changed) run with the display 'dimmer' than normal when not charging. If yours doesn't change your brightness settings so you'll notice ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back